Insurance without tickets

AHPP

Sorry mate, what I'm meaning is, if you have some sort of incident or accident that leads to either a large insurance claim or an HSE investigation your tickets may just cover your ass and you may then feel it was money very well spent.

I guess if you trade until retirement without such and accident or incident you may be right in thinking it was a waste of money, but then again what price on peace of mind??

Also because you have the tickets you can pick and chose between the insurers which should lead to cheaper premiums, this over time could well cover the cost the tickets and possibly even lead to a saving :001_smile:

Whilst acknowledging that I come from the 'conformance' side of the industry :biggrin: this just about sums it up and gives a commercial value, or rather potential saving, aspect too.

Great post.

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry this won't help you but personally I wouldn't want to be insured by anybody that would insure me without tickets.

I've just been through my policy and althoygh it runs to dozens of pages the only thing I can find is it says -

"The Assured shall take all reasonable precautions or steps:

a) to observe and comply with all statutory or local authority laws obligations and requirements;"

And I think that means the H&S Act and all the Reguations that come off it (PPE, PUWER, COSHH, LOLER, WAH atc.)

Then it says "To the extent that any failure by the Assured to take such reasonable precautions or steps gives rise to, or contributes

to a loss then any claim that is the subject of that loss will not be covered under this Policy."

That insurer didn't ask to see my tickets, but basically if I screw up on something I should have demonstrated competence for they'll leave me high and dry. The advantage of a blind-eye policy is that you can wave it around when tendering for work, it might get you somewhere but generally if it's a big contract the employer will either want to see tickets too or will want a method statement that details the tickets of everyone on the job.

I don’t have any of the usual certificates, awards, paper qualifications etc for tree work. I will not be getting any. For the sake of this thread (and my sanity), please assume that I am competent and talk no more about this.

I want public liability insurance. Some firms have already told me they do not insure people without NPTC certificates. Can anyone please recommend an insurer who does not require evidence of competence by way of tickets and will not try to fall back on an exemption clause if I need to claim. I want to hear from people who have asked the questions and checked the small print. Hopefully I can save some time ringing round hundreds of insurers. I will be sure to tell any insurer of the source of a recommendation if you’d like me to.

Many thanks.

So it was just the actual insurance company names you were after then. You would have been quicker picking up the phone:lol:

I am only ground based but Arborisk were happy to cover me for any ground based tree work even though my only tickets expired many years back. Can't put my hand on heart and say I have read all the small print but Arborisk appear popular on here.

Which tickets were they?? none of mine have expiry dates.

Just 30 and 31

Thought there was thread on here saying they needed updating every few years to be valid.

Nope, its advised that you do some form of refresher training every 3-5 years, this can be another ticket, but those tickets are still valid, they have no expiry date.