Roundup to be banned in the UK, ?

SteveA

It's not a counterpoint ... it's more a fact, and points to reality.

People buy roundup or monsanto products because they want them, or pay for services that use them. It's very similar to how old growth forests were wiped-out not because of loggers, but because tens of thousands wanted the wood or products from the wood. So to avoid the complexity you seemed to insert ... it's easy to deal with simpler matters.

If environmentalists don't want old growth trees cut, then simple logic means they won't buy products that accelerate that type of cutting. If they want organic gardens or just landscaping without roundup, then obviously they should hand-weed or other alternatives. If they are being logical, consistent and honest, then they should not buy cars or drive them, because of all the toxins and pollutants caused by manufacture, etc.. On the other hand, if they have no problem making the exception to use products of one kind that trigger some contamination, then they should go easy on companies like monsanto and users of those products.

There's nothing wrong with people having an opinion about products they like or dislike. It's just that there are so few who are consistent about what they say, do, purchase, etc.. There are so many people who try to demonize certain products, but use other pollutant causing things that they treat as if angelic.

Oh, OK, I get it....

So what you're saying is:

if you've committed one crime, you should never comment or criticise any other crime? For example, if you've had a drink, you should never criticise a drink driver?

All I'm saying is, what I see as the difference between our positions appears to be, is that I would suggest that recognising and acknowledging that something might be harmful is a starting point to reducing the risk whereas you appear to be suggesting, if you own a car, you shouldn't be concerned, or rather shouldn't voice a concern, about Roundup.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, OK, I get it....

if you've committed one crime, you should never comment or criticise any other crime? For example, if you've had a drink, you should never criticise a drink driver?

All I'm saying is, what I see as the difference between our positions appears to be, is that I would suggest that recognising and acknowledging that something might be harmful is a starting point to reducing the risk whereas you appear to be suggesting, if you own a car, you shouldn't be concerned, or rather shouldn't voice a concern, about Roundup.

When did having a drink become a crime?:confused1:

I think the point being made is the hypocrisy.

You might be focussing on my poor example (thankfully having a drink isn't a crime) rather than the point I was trying to illustrate.

I get the hypocrisy point, but isn't the example of owning a car perhaps just as poorly conceived as my drink example?

If it pleases you Sir, I'll amend to:

If one commits a murder, then one shouldn't criticise a rapist....? (If we are to apply a similar logic as that presented to support the "have a car, don't criticise Roundup" logic.

Not worth getting too wrapped up in the detail, glyphosate is dangerous if used inappropriately or excessively, surely on that we must be able to agree? Who decides what is appropriate and / or excessive is probably best decided by those without a vested interest.

Oh, OK, I get it....

All I'm saying is, what I see as the difference

I can't see for certain that you figured out what I said yet. But I can offer that I don't always explain things with the train of thought some might expect. For example, The Dark Side of Lasagna Gardening

Link > Lasagna Gardening and Sheet Mulching can be opposite of Green Living.

If in regard to what I wrote, it looks like you got the point made.

It would be some degree of hypocrisy like you suggested. And since others are already suggesting the good and evil, the hypocrisy potential seemed like a more useful element to interject.

As a teenager I worked for a guy who thought he was Captain Planet. He was a multi millionaire, employed a gang of us for months to plant his many acres with mixed woodland. Was trying to leave the world better than he found it, sort of thing. Drove a banger, lived in a hovel, no toilet even - not even a compost toilet - just a bucket, (but always had the latest, most expensive computer). We suffered hundreds of hours listening to his lectures on the evils of industrialisation, corporations, etc etc you get the picture.

One day, I came upon him burning a pile of domestic rubbish in a corner of the garden. Plastic bags, tins. I challenged him on it and his reply was "Well, what else am I supposed to do with it?" I suggested he bring it to the dump like everyone else, where the lorry will tip it into a landfill, which is lined to prevent groundwater contamination. In five hundred years when we have invented a way of processing and neutralising plastic crap, we will know where is is, dig it up and deal with it.

He told me I was wrong, and his method was the only way. Ever since that day, I lost the automatic respect for the intelligence of my elders.

Edited by Haironyourchest

Not a good idea at all from a farmer who uses it a very bad idea it would cause us massive problems with economic crop production and the start of a very slippery slope remember this chemical is having a hard time because of the name monsanto and GM, another case of don't believe every you read plus its us is all about risk . Petrol if drunk is highly toxic and why would you drink it the same applies to this chemical why would you drink it ?

I wouldn't spray petrol on my food either