Splicer wanted!

SteveT1989

Be aware that if you have a rope spliced after purchase by a friend it may no longer pass a LOLER inspection as there is no evidence of it being sold as a rope with a spliced eye.

The opinions of others may vary, but that's my take on things.

Why would a rope have to 'sold with a spliced eye' to pass LOLER?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'm possibly going on a LOLER course later this year. Can you get a certificate to do do your own splices and sewn eyes? So that they can be passed by an inspection. I know you can LOLER test your own kit up to three times and then you have to get an independent inspection every 4th time. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks

I'm possibly going on a LOLER course later this year. Can you get a certificate to do do your own splices and sewn eyes? So that they can be passed by an inspection. I know you can LOLER test your own kit up to three times and then you have to get an independent inspection every 4th time. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks

Ther are splicing corsets provided by the rope manufacturers but each only covers you for that splice on that brand of rope. There is no "overall" splicing course

You can't do your own sewn eyes because you need the machine and I believe a licence from the patent holder and they are horribly expensive.

LOLERing your own kit is OK provided you can demonstrate that your decisions are sufficiently independent. There is no 4th tackle rule that I know of, where did you get that from?

Ther are splicing corsets provided by the rope manufacturers but each only covers you for that splice on that brand of rope. There is no "overall" splicing course

You can't do your own sewn eyes because you need the machine and I believe a licence from the patent holder and they are horribly expensive.

LOLERing your own kit is OK provided you can demonstrate that your decisions are sufficiently independent. There is no 4th tackle rule that I know of, where did you get that from?

Ian Morgan ARB. I'm doing the course with him. He said that if we have an "independent" LOLER say once every 4th test that would demonstrate that our testing on our own kit was thorough and impartial.

Thanks for the SPLICING info, very helpful.

Timon

Ian Morgan ARB. I'm doing the course with him. He said that if we have an "independent" LOLER say once every 4th test that would demonstrate that our testing on our own kit was thorough and impartial.

Thanks for the SPLICING info, very helpful.

Timon

Ian is a good bloke but that's his advice and not any kind of rule. The government advice is that the inspector should be sufficiently independent. (Or something along those lines)

A good audit trail is as important as anything else.

The external examination won't demonstrate that your in house inspections (it's not testing) are thorough and impartial, your audit trail will do that for you. But a cyclical external inspection is a good idea

Ian is a good bloke but that's his advice and not any kind of rule. The government advice is that the inspector should be sufficiently independent. (Or something along those lines)

A good audit trail is as important as anything else.

The external examination won't demonstrate that your in house inspections (it's not testing) are thorough and impartial, your audit trail will do that for you. But a cyclical external inspection is a good idea

Thanks for this. I know doing this course will save us loads in the long run and hopefully open up other business opportunities. Our other centres around the country are stating up doing treeworks. So we're looking to do our own inspections.

Thanks mate.