08 ranger bowing drivers side headlamp bulb repeatedly.

Daythe trees

As the title suggests does anyone have an 08 ranger which blows the headlamp bulb on the drivers side constantly? It's got to the point I carry two spare m4 bulbs and a bag of nylock m6 nuts, oh and the 1/4 drive with a ten mil on it in the central armrest.

I am reluctant to dig into the issue as it could get expensive as it's only a two minute job and I pick up bulbs for two quid each.

Thanks fella and lady arbs

As the title suggests does anyone have an 08 ranger which blows the headlamp bulb on the drivers side constantly? It's got to the point I carry two spare m4 bulbs and a bag of nylock m6 nuts, oh and the 1/4 drive with a ten mil on it in the central armrest.

I am reluctant to dig into the issue as it could get expensive as it's only a two minute job and I pick up bulbs for two quid each.

Normally blowing bulbs is a sign of too high an alternator voltage . However if it is the same bulb look for an intermittent supply to the bulb, constantly heating and cooling will shorten a bulbs life. Vibration will also cause the same problem. Faulty batch of bulbs, Try a different brand/ supplier.Few things for you to look at.

My old Merc used to do that to a rear brake light bulb (I know its only 12W) it turned out to be a bad contact between the bulb holder contacts and the bulb itself. The contacts would heat up, burn leading to an increased resistance and then bulb failiure. I fixed it by bending the contacts to make a better connection, wire wool to clean the components and it has not happened again for the last 3 years.

If its only that one bulb I doubt you have an expensive problem with rectifiers and regulators IMO

Normally blowing bulbs is a sign of too high an alternator voltage . However if it is the same bulb look for an intermittent supply to the bulb, constantly heating and cooling will shorten a bulbs life. Vibration will also cause the same problem. Faulty batch of bulbs, Try a different brand/ supplier.Few things for you to look at.

A little more detail for your fault finding

Is the light output constant over rough ground? You could even cover the other light off road to get a better look.

If not you have a supply/connection problem.

Presumably you have the lucar spade connectors on your headlight so check they are a tight fit on the bulb. If you have a spare single spade check each connection individually. Ensure they are tight with no signs of arcing/burning.

Check headlight unit for movement against the opposite side. Any looseness will cause vibration and kill your bulb.

Even though it is the same bulb and unlikely to be a voltage problem it would only take a minute to check this. Your local garage would probably not charge you for this. Alternatively and probably best find someone who repairs starters/alternators to check the voltage. If you are using cheap replacements then they might be more susceptible to over voltage than the original equipment ones.