Stress of the job

stoff101

I'm fine at work.for 11 hours, its like others have said. You get in bed and the cogs start turning.

It's mostly stress of being a new businesses and heading in to this time of year. I think once I rwalise that as long as you work well and hard work is always there to be done. It's just the financial commitments of starying up/ uncertain work a month down the line and providing back home.

Anyway, I've taken the advice and im clearly not the only one. appreciate it guys. The wonders of arbtalk!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great advice in this thread. Definitely a list helps and is key to being organised, but even organised people get stressed. It's always hard when you start up, lots of uncertainties - I like the idea of 3 bank accounts, definitely need at least 2.

There wouldn't be many people who don't lose sleep over jobs, but the more you do the easier it gets.

Try to enjoy the journey, before you know it you will look back and wonder how it all happened! Be proud of yourself and the 'brand' which represents you, if you can't respect yourself no one else will respect you.

If you can't sleep your not working hard enough

Thats a load of rubbish! Adrenaline is a funny thing..

No one should ever belittle stress. It is one of the biggest killers in the modern world. What triggers it in one, won't in another, but there is always something that gets someone. I used to be wound up about my work, I'm not any more. I used to be highly stressed, the cause (unknown at the time) was a hyper-active thyroid producing too much thyroxin (sp?) and chemically messing me up, causing high BP, racing heart and the ability to work hard for long hours without getting tired. Sounds great? It's not, something has to give, and st 47 it did. I developed a severe IBD resulting in major surgery to save my life. Now thats stressful. So was the resulting chaos when the op failed, waiting for a re-op, then having acute kidney failure which again tried to finish me. If it hadn't been this my heart or something else would have failed.

Now I wake up in the morning, work is unimportant, I go if I feel like it, if I don't I put it off til tomorrow. So long as I can earn enough to live, it really does not matter. There really is more to life than work.

The only time I get stressed is if I have too much work on and have underpriced one of them. I used to struggle to get to sleep trying to remember the thing I had forgotten. I now use a free to download package called chaos. You list out all your todo's in priority and empty your mind at different times you remember things and add them . You can do same thing with bit of paper but i find it easier to update on the screen and print. Anything I cant remember now is unimportant so dont need to worry.

Best advice I had on managing stress, which helps me is

Decide what real stress is, set the bar very high, everything else is not stress.

I agree with this mental concept. I know somebody mentioned that you shouldn't belittle "stress" but I actually think that by belittling it you are beetling it and that's the key. Stress is just a mental state of mind that has the ability to become physical but only if you allow it to. Don't let it beat you and keep it at by by telling the little sxxt to do one. As far as I'm concerned I have a recycaling plant built into my head, I feed it with "stress" and it comes out the other end as motivation and energy!!

That works for me :001_smile:

(the plant does break down now and then tho, and it sucks when it does)

As has been said I find the good old fashioned list and diary very helpful. If I go to bed worrying I get up make a cup of tea and list the tasks associated with what is bothering me, down to; change insoles in your boots. If I can't put a finger on what is stressing me and keeping me awake the act of getting up making a brew, re-checking the doors and going back to bed seems to work. If you can't work it out go and speak to your doctor, they are genuinely very helpful or at least mine was. As Mr Collins said their can be underlying issues or the issue itself which in the world of modern medicine can be fixed.

Trick I learnt was get your self a few contract jobs in the pipe line then you don't need to worry.. Basic pay of every month comes in and then fill all those other days with work.. Yourl know that way what you have every month as a basic :). You stay s/e with the bonus of being able to set up a solid income with maintance jobs or climb for someone as a sub just to make sure your always booked up!

I have just been off all week on "holidays". Haven't actually gone anywhere which is always a mistake.

I have woken every single night at 4.30am stressed to Hell! Haven't got back to sleep some times either.

When I am working I wake when the alarm goes off and rarely before. What's that all about? :confused1: