Insurance for firewood business

davetaz

Trying to sort out PL and EL insurance for a firewood business

Quotes seem to vary a lot as do restrictions

The business is quite simple, buying in timber, processing with Thor hydraulic splitter(petrol driven) and Haaki Pilke Eagle Bench saw (petrol driven), seasoning and selling on in loose loads and bags.

Two of us working on it

Last quote was £2800

Which companies do other people use for insurance and what sort of figures should I be looking at?

All comments/advice much appreciated

Seems like a lot. What companies have you tried?

A small sole trader tree surgery company should be able to get insured for under a grand, so I would have thought you could get it much cheaper that £2800

Have you tried the NFU?

Had a quote from NFU today for just uder £900, they just need more info on the machinery as they dont cover "wood working macinery", hopefully I'll persuade them its not wood working machinery.

Public liability for when out and about delivering, employers liability as I have a number of people helping out on and off.

Sounds like NFU is about right price wise

Thanks for responses

Do you need PL for delivering? I guess so, just hadn't thought that you would or that it would be expensive, I guess all companies need PL for whatever reason it may be. I suppose you reverse your truck/trailer into someones house, that may not be covered on vehicle insurance etc.

Here here. If they had a better deal on offer then why was it not on offer in the first place.

Yes your right enough but if you've been with them for a while they try to keep you.At the end of the day i does all come down to price.

I tend to find that if you have been with any insurance company a while, rather than reward your loyalty, they tend to abuse it and annually ratchet up the premiums. It's only when you do a little shopping around does the extent of how much they are charging over the odds come to light.

But you're right; even when you catch them profiteering straight out of your pocket they will still want to keep you as a customer (it costs them alot to aquire new customers).

There may be a case to stay with them if they eat lots of humble pie and significantly better the best deal you found. But if they just offer to match the best price you found, they can sod off.