Cats v Wildlife

Lucan

Our native wolves were eradicated for killing livestock, I really don't understand how cats are allowed to roam free, killing our native wildlife.

By all means keep cats, but they shouldn't be allowed to roam free. People need to be responsible for their pets. I would happily end a cat if it was killing birds on my property.

And if it were my cat that you "ended" (funny how people avoid using the term kill) I would happily give you what you deserved.

People rattling on about shooting other people's pets for nothing other than doing what comes naturally to them really irritates me. Majority of the time it's big men spouting bull from behind a keyboard, on the off chance that any one of them follow through with what they're saying, they should expect an equal reaction from a very annoyed cat owner, which they fully deserve.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I'm no big man, nor keyboard warrior, just an honest response, I'd kill a cat as easily as killing the rats we had last year, both pests in my eyes.

My problems not with an animal doing what's in its nature, it's owners letting them destroy endangered wildlife.

"People rattling on about shooting other people's pets for nothing other than doing what comes naturally to them really irritates me"

Do cat owners that have had their cat killed by a dog just think, 'Oh well, only nature at work. Owner could have stopped it but never mind'.

Strange the dog owners rattle on about control of pets, does it irritate that cats are less able to be controlled?

I'd also imagine that 'man' as a species has done far more to endanger wildlife through destroying habitat, herbicides and pesticides, intensive farming etc than the humble pussycat. Ironic that on a forum of people who make a living killing trees(habitat) that destruction of wildlife is such an issue. The debate is becoming very partisan, cat lovers v cat haters.

"People rattling on about shooting other people's pets for nothing other than doing what comes naturally to them really irritates me"

Do cat owners that have had their cat killed by a dog just think, 'Oh well, only nature at work. Owner could have stopped it but never mind'.

If my cat was killed but a dog I'd be very upset, but I wouldn't blame the dog. I wouldn't blame the dog owners provided they didn't just sit there watching, as I suspect some of you would.

Lol I'm no big man, nor keyboard warrior, just an honest response, I'd kill a cat as easily as killing the rats we had last year, both pests in my eyes.

My problems not with an animal doing what's in its nature, it's owners letting them destroy endangered wildlife.

No, a rat is vermin, and not a pet. A cat is someone's pet, and killing it will likely bring about a justifiably volatile reaction. If I saw a persons dog snapping at a honey bee, and decided to kill it, is that acceptable in your eyes?

"If my cat was killed but a dog I'd be very upset, but I wouldn't blame the dog. I wouldn't blame the dog owners provided they didn't just sit there watching, as I suspect some of you would."

I don't mean sit there watching, I mean a dog that is allowed to run around doing what it wants.

Would you change your mind if your cat kept killing animals that were endangered? Say red squirrels, water voles, skylarks, etc?

I don't have a cat, but if I did and it kept bringing back red squirrels I'd feel sick to the stomach.

I don't really give much of a "care", I cut trees down for a living, this week I have destroyed some particularly nice trees. I think moaning about a cat doing what comes naturally would be a bit hypocritical.

Our cat brings in rodents, it only bothers me that they are flea ridden, the cat gets them and passes them on to the dogs, frontline isn't cheap.