Stihl MS150 TC-E Chain Oil Problems

BobbyDee

Has anyone who has the above saw experienced a problem with the chain oil level not dropping? The oil in mine is obviously not getting through. I've tried emptying the reservoir, putting in a small amount of petrol to flush things out and fuel can be seen coming out of the oil groove with the bar removed and the engine running so I assume the oil pump is working. I have tried semi synthetic car engine oil - that doesn't come through and chain oil certainly will not appear. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Fill up oil tank, take bar and chain off, start saw, hold saw with oil dispensing groove uppermost, rev saw 1/2 revs 15 seconds.

If oil does not overflow from groove then a blockage between tank and groove or faulty pump.

If under guarantee take it back with the paperwork. If not you need to know what you are doing or look on youtube.

Good luck.

Edited by arboriculturist

Yes done that. No oil flow from groove with bar and chain off and engine revved, but with small amount of petrol in the oil reservoir instead of chain oil there is a flow of fuel from the groove so no blockage and presumably the pump is working to some extent but maybe not enough to get the chain oil moving?

Yes done that. No oil flow from groove with bar and chain off and engine revved, but with small amount of petrol in the oil reservoir instead of chain oil there is a flow of fuel from the groove so no blockage and presumably the pump is working to some extent but maybe not enough to get the chain oil moving?

I don't think petrol will flow from the groove with the groove horizontal, but will pass through the pump while sitting on its base as petrol has far less viscosity than chain oil. Oil passage obstructed or faulty pump!

Thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply. The saw is,in fact, two weeks old so I'm returning it to be sorted as it does appear to be the pump. I shall look forward to getting it back in full working order as it seems to be a cracking little saw. If I get any info on it I'll post it here.

A friend of mine had the same problem with his MS181. It went back 3 times and they kept saying there was no fault and there wasn't if you held the saw pointed at the ground and ran it but when you held it level and cut wood it didn't use any oil at all. They put a new pump in and it has been fine since.

Had this problem before a few times i put it down to a week oil pump and a restrictive oil filter if a 150 stops oiling now i just whip cover off under the clutch pull pipe off botom of the pump quick blow down it slap it back together and its fine again .. the filter is only tiny i asume just gets filled with crud