The Fifty and Above Club....if you're any younger don't even think about posting.

Mick Stockbridge

12 hours ago, petercb said:

69 for me and the car is a 1953 Riley RMF so 136.
Frame is Ash, interesting when it had to be mot'd and the guy asked were the sills OK yes I said new on, welded he said, no brass screws I replied. His face was a picture but he was very helpful and I got the ticket once he dug the old Topley meter out.

Not long ago, took Series II fr last MoT, befr exemption, mechanic said ' I haven't done one of these in 20yrs - I'll get the manual out  ....'  ?  K

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 22:39, PeteB said:

That's a good Landrover! Years back, an Uncle had the first LandRover delivered to Hereford and Worcester.  I used to drive it about his farm as a young teenager, it taught me how to double declutch and gave me my love of the brand! I have had seven different models, inc the current weekend dogbus, a D4. The others were a Series 2A LWB, 110 V8, 127 Crewcab, 130 Crewcab, 130 Single Cab and an LSE RR. GreenMech got me a FreeLander van as a tow tug which did well too.

But they have such an uncomfortable driving position with the window so close to the steering wheel, when I drove the works defender I had to have the window down all the time

On 04/09/2020 at 15:58, Lazurus said:

But they have such an uncomfortable driving position with the window so close to the steering wheel, when I drove the works defender I had to have the window down all the 

All Defenders are "left hand drive", you cannot move your right hand but can hold the wheel while your left changes gear!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Changed the old defender for a 9 year old Mitsubishi pick up this year, my tinnitus has gone and the trapped nerve in the right side of my neck has gone too ! Still, I do miss the landy camaraderie and next doors grand daughter misses climbing up on to the roof rack, they'er city folk relocated to the country and she thought that the back ladder and roof rack was a mobile climbing frame !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got some broadband cable laid in the roof space yesterday so we can get WiFi everywhere. The 2 young electricians came down complaining about an infestation of flies. I ignored them thinking nothing of it. I’d already had a few as I’m on holiday. They complain to my wife who started giving me an ear bashing for drinking on a glorious autumn day and said I had to do something. “Feck me! “ I said in a loud voice, “give me some fly spray “ this fat 55yr old put them to shame, went up to the roof space for the first time in 30 years since putting the loft insulation in using my TA NBC face mask, and sprayed til the can was empty and the flies were dead. I told them breathing in the spray was more harmful than the flies.

• Like 3

Changed the old defender for a 9 year old Mitsubishi pick up this year, my tinnitus has gone and the trapped nerve in the right side of my neck has gone too ! Still, I do miss the landy camaraderie and next doors grand daughter misses climbing up on to the roof rack, they'er city folk relocated to the country and she thought that the back ladder and roof rack was a mobile climbing frame !

Same here. I’ve had 3. I still think they are drop dead gorgeous but my L200 is just perfect for me and so far has never let me down, unlike the defenders