Taking a hit to your confidence

IanW

should have done in hindsight, would have really helped climbing from the other side.

though I'm not a fan of spikes, I'm going to have to use them more and get used to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Spikes are a massive aid mate. I had to strip and section a big limb last week. Climbed the tree as normal, selected the most suitable anchor point and just used spikes to work on the limb.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long have you been climbing??

because we all work in a dangerous profession where we cant truly know what lies inside that branch/limb we attach to. it is bound to happen at some point but you had safe procedures in place that stopped a 25ft fall in to a 2ft swing and a new pair of boxers/breifs.

get back climbing as soon as possible trust the gear you know how it works you know that it does work.

not been climbing that long, only really started back in feb this year

i gaffed out whilst felling a top of a eucalyptus, maybe about 30ft up 6" pole , dropped the saw on my arm luckily it had just stopped spinning shook me up put me off. forgot about it few weeks later but it reminds me to be careful

Seen it happen before, don't let it stop

You climbing! I haven't been climbing that long but see some things that make me think we are a bit mad!! I always try and work safe, double check everything and never rush. 90 percent of accidents

You seem are user error ie chainsaw through arm etc. just take it steady mate, go for some rec climbs these help, and you'll remember why you really started climbing.

I had my anchor snap in a larch I was climbing, very lucky actually the branch just peeled back as I was cutting but was stopped on! So strange I tested it before hand, totally fine and then it just went 10 mins after! Anyway, I have just forgot about this when climbing its all in the mind

A very very wise old climber used to say to me all the time, how long has that tree been there and if it survived the latest gusts of wind then ill climb it.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I was at Merrist Wood in the late 90's when that lad came out of the tree whilst snatching in the woods.

That knocked me for six and I didn't even see it, it put the thought in the back of my mind that if it can happen at collage it could happen any where!

We do a dangerous job, fear is a good thing as long as its a balanced fear.

Like others have said, being too confident is as bad as being unconfident.

A little slip like this will help guide you, get back in the saddle and move forward, we all have a wobble now and then.

I had to rope down a big old poplar last week, I knew it was heavily decayed, as two limbs had torn out historicaly on one side. The other side all leaned over a drainage canal, hence the rop off. I kept it as light as I dare, everybit gave me confidence too, as the tree was lightening off with each piece. We got it to a stem and put my land and mates 7.5 ton truck on it to pull it into the playing fields. When it hit the deck it exploded and I got to see a strip of living cambium holding the whole thing up was just about 2-3 inches thick!

That shook me to my core, I said thats the last rotten tree i do like that without a MEWP. We need a shake down once in a while, its a reminder.:001_smile:

59766a1965fb7_rottenpop043.jpg.da9dde16f25c97339fdc7d520219566a.jpg

Treat it as a learning experience, look at what went wrong and how you could have done it differently; could you have used a MEWP?

We've all been there, worn the T shirt and the soiled pants :thumbdown: get back up a tree as soon as possible, take your time, get a feel for it and enjoy it.

I keep thinking I should have made my way up the other side of the tree but it was awkward so decided against it haha

One of my golden rules is if you think it then there must be a reason for it and probably the best way to do it. Trust your senses like the wildlife do.

We do a dangerous job, fear is a good thing as long as its a balanced fear.

Like others have said, being too confident is as bad as being unconfident.

A little slip like this will help guide you, get back in the saddle and move forward, we all have a wobble now and then.

I had to rope down a big old poplar last week, I knew it was heavily decayed, as two limbs had torn out historicaly on one side. The other side all leaned over a drainage canal, hence the rop off. I kept it as light as I dare, everybit gave me confidence too, as the tree was lightening off with each piece. We got it to a stem and put my land and mates 7.5 ton truck on it to pull it into the playing fields. When it hit the deck it exploded and I got to see a strip of living cambium holding the whole thing up was just about 2-3 inches thick!

That shook me to my core, I said thats the last rotten tree i do like that without a MEWP. We need a shake down once in a while, its a reminder.:001_smile:

[ATTACH]163936[/ATTACH]

scary to think that's all that was holding you up is mush, while your jumping several meters off the ground in a couple of tons worth of tree tops !