Stump grinding how much!!!!

Richard 1234

Hi all.

First of all not a tree man. Just a gardener stumbled on this forum and look at it for tips on kit that's relevant to me. Picked up some good tips as well so thanks.

Anyway as the thread says stump grinding how much.

A friend of mine had a large chestnut taken down at a property he has just bought for investment. £1800 plus vat about 35 foot tall plus 25ft of hedge halved. Down to 6 or so feet. And 20% reduction of another tree sycamore I think.

He was supposed to have been quoted for stump grinding but they said on the day that it would be extra. So he asked how much and they come out with £250 plus vat. Seems an awful lot to me? No access issues stump was about 2 1/2 to 3 foot wide.

They left the grin dings in a huge pile.

I went to move them for him and found bits of stump still present.

Total bill came to about £2550

Any comments appreciated (sorry for long post)

Cheers Richard

Edited by Richard 1234
Need to add

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds about right, maybe a tad on the high side.

Depending on what they actually quoted for in terms of stump level will depend on what they do with the stump; if they stated in their quote to leave the stump low, it means just that, left low....

What did they specify was happening to the arisings? Left on site or cleared?

Regarding the bits left, as Jim said, couldn't really comment. My only comment would be to recommend to your friend that in future all quotes are written detailing exactly whats going to happen with what, then there's no ambiguity when it comes to the spec.

A lot of stumps I do and where possible I grind out as far down as I can get with my HB20 which can be as deep as 22" according to the manufacture but I don't often have to go that deep. In most cases if its just having grass over then get it a few inches below ground level to allow for plenty of new soil and turf. If they have left some then he should ask them to come back and get it how he wants it. I always tell my grinds that if I've missed a bit to get me back. No probs. as for the price for the work, as we have not seen the tree and other stuff it's hard to comment but in future get 3 like for like quotes and choose the company you feel will do the best job.

Hodge

Hello,

A hardwood stump of 1m diameter across the buttresses.

Level location, easy access.

Looking back through my recent work I would say it's around 2 hours+ 'on site' + travel so I would have bid 240euros (£192) or 300euros (£240) with the chips removed.

Regards

Ty

Hi

3" feet chestnut stump, on level ground with very good access, I would say ground out (8"/10" below ground level) cleaned up, all arisings left on site £105.00 half hours work and on to the next job.

Cheers Chris.

Chris Smith Stump Grinding

I always use £3 per inch as a good estimate of stump grinding cost. Eg. A stump with a 10 inch diameter will cost roughly £30 to grind. No complaints yet :001_smile:

That's way to cheap IMO, price of grinder, fuel, transport, teeth, insurance and profit. From £30 not worth bothering. I used to chage low prices like that until I hit an iron bar in the middle of a 10" stump! Cost £60 for new teeth, job was only £40. Now I charge a minimum of £100. They can take it or leave it.

Hodge

That's way to cheap IMO, price of grinder, fuel, transport, teeth, insurance and profit. From £30 not worth bothering. I used to chage low prices like that until I hit an iron bar in the middle of a 10" stump! Cost £60 for new teeth, job was only £40. Now I charge a minimum of £100. They can take it or leave it.

Hodge

Hodge I have to say I agree with pretty much everything you say on AT.

I too have a sidewinder and to take it out run it and run the risk of smashing the green teeth to bits I try and charge at least £100.

May do it cheaper if I have taken the tree down in the first place and there is other work to be done in the future.

£30 for a stump, no thanks unless there were 20 of them in a row!