Oh no! Not another zigzag :(

JCHickson

I read the release posted by PETZL. It described 2 in 1000 cases so your quite select Steve pmsl. The thing is my mate Mark uses a ZigZag n u know what? It's awesome....I almost want to give up my old fart Blakes for one. Now don't start posting messages about the benefits of vt's n SRT....I already know, it's just commercially I need to get up there n get it done yeah n my blakes n a bit of shoulder has not let me down yet...OLDSCHOOL! I will however say this. I tried a lockjack...yeh it was cool, not for me though...many knots n systems n devices I've tried but not one have I employed....until the Zigzag...I love It! There I said it now! Funny thing is the crack always appears in th exact same place! Marks was identical! PETZL say it's non life threatening n I believe them. There's a ten year guarantee on them now I believe? Lovely to climb on! If you ain't tried it...do!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup that is the chappy. Same place as petzl recommend inspecting!

I've only just got a zillon and frankly I love it same as the zigzag. As far as concern as long as its inspected and replaced if damaged then in my eyes its ok.

So yes, i'm being silly :blushing: thats good to know. Thought that thats how it is, just be sensible and keep an eye on your kit (which we should anyway)

Zillon, consider yourself ordered!

The "scratch" on the arrow is leylandi I believe the rivet area is the crack I was referring to.

Hard to tell in the pic but up close its obvious due to the devices size.

I knew were the crack should be!!! But when you said by arrow that would be a vey bad place for it to fracture. ( got confused by wording ):thumbup:

I have just been checking my kit after the weeks climbing, even though I do a pre check of my zig zag before I climb have noticed mine has a crack in the top rivet, wounded cos it ace.

I know petzl have stated that it will still hold if it fails, let's be honest they realeased it and said it had been thoroughly tested, but it failed could they be wrong again? More than likley. no good climbing on something that you know is gonna fail, shop I bought it from has offered to replace or refund, back to a hitch climber for me.

Compay the size of Petzl should have sorted all the issues out with the Zig Zag Mk 1 before releasing Mk 2 . I find it hard to believe that Petzl are saying the cracks are ok and not life threatening . What other climbing device that is showing cracks is actually deemed fit for use ? None in my book . Stress Fracture / Crack whatever you call it this device really is not fit for purpose in my book . Sad thing is it actually works excellent .

The reason it will hold is the second block underneath

I'm sorry but it shouldn't crack at all...

if this was the first reported problem then fair enough, but it isn't.

we trust out lives in this gear....

reminds me of a thread about a petzl sequoia harness where the buckle broke.... as if our job isn't hard enough or dangerous enough with out having to treble check our gear every 30 seconds, even though we should every time we climb.... we (well I) want complete faith in my gear.... im sure we all do.

it's not acceptable in my book.... don't really instil confidence dose it?

ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Oh I totally agree. I'm personally not keen on petzl I think a lot of what they do is over priced cheap equipment. Just putting minds at rest. It would personally put me off, it shouldn't happen.

And that sequoia buckle was bad. I bought a cheap singing rock harness timber 2 much nicer built than petzl and cheaper. I also now have a petzl lid sack of crap in comparison to my kask sadly the ear muff attachment keep breaking which is an expensive hobby. They had the same when they released the plastic gate crab. Surely they could see that wouldn't take abuse.