me dealing with depression

predator

I know what your going through we have found the best therapy is mans best friend get a dog. It gives you a friend to be with talk to and dogs don't judge. You are never alone with a dog by your side and even stroking a dog has been found to be therapeutic

Joy

Our little 13yr old rescue springer left us in October last year and our 13yr old collie who we've had since a pup left us in May this year. Both had been in deteriorating health for a while prior to their demise so unfortunately dog ownership hasn't contributed much joy over the last couple of years. If I didn't care so much about them it wouldn't affect me so much but as I've posted on other threads as I get older it's harder to loose them.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on, and once it's happened a few times the negative thoughts will cease to arise.

After a while, when real negative things happen you'll have full control of that too, I got stuck on a motorway for over two hours on the way to work earlier in the year, once I'd told my boss I was going to be late I just sat back and relaxed, it was great. Everyone else around me was having a nightmare living in the future of what ifs, where I was enjoying the time to relax, read and have a bit of a chill.

I'll definitely be giving it a serious go.

Thanks again for your help. :001_smile:

I've suffered from this I likened it to running a race, and I'm catching up with the leader (depression) and just as I caught up it pulled away again, I'm determined not to let it beat me and when I finally get in front it takes all.my energy to stay in front, I can't ease up for a second or it will get ahead of me again.

My doctor said it wad the most apt description of it he had ever heard and use that analogy to this day with other sufferers.

But don't not have a dog just because you may have the pain eventually when you loose them I have lost several dogs over the years and the good times and comfort they give when you have them must mean something. If we all didn't have something for fear of losing it you might as well never do anything. Each new dog I have had has different personalities a new friend.

Just my opinion

Joy

I can't claim to of suffered depression or at least not diagnosed. But I have noticed through my 40's I have had a good go at the mid life crisis, I know this is nothing like what you,lads have suffered but at times it feels like a good starting point. I think as you hit middle age you have more ties responsibilities and aggravation. The little things you used to look forward to no longer hit the spot. I can remember saving up for an old vehicle or a tool and looking forward to it. I have a good budget to buy a decent landcrusier but just can't be arsed.

Steve, keep it banked and wait a while and one sunny day soon, a good 'cruiser will appear, you can have a good day out and spend all your wodge!

Personally, a lot of things I see and hear (the world, but especially UK forestry and log sales...) depress me, but when I say this to my clever wife she reminds me that our little girl is laughing, dinner is cooking, and that's a beer in my hand!

It is definitely easy to get pulled down, that's where a good partner, mate, dr, dog, meditation etc can help put things in better perspective.

Good luck people. Cheers, John.

Steve, keep it banked and wait a while and one sunny day soon, a good 'cruiser will appear, you can have a good day out and spend all your wodge!

Personally, a lot of things I see and hear (the world, but especially UK forestry and log sales...) depress me, but when I say this to my clever wife she reminds me that our little girl is laughing, dinner is cooking, and that's a beer in my hand!

It is definitely easy to get pulled down, that's where a good partner, mate, dr, dog, meditation etc can help put things in better perspective.

Well said John:thumbup::thumbup:

A good way to look at it :thumbup1: they do say if you have your health you have everything. Also money does not bring happiness although I would rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable :lol:

I hope you don't mind but i gave this thread to the missus to read, She was training to be a councillor, but essex council in there wisdom decided to close the course and move it to the arse end of nowwhere (basildon). She started it because she was where some of you are/were and after having counsilling herself she thought to get training to eventually help others.

She looked to doing it on a home uni course, but part time would have taken upto 12 years and many £0000s to complete.

She still takes the happy pills.