Tajfun 400 Joy processor Output?

farmer_ben

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My yard and handling isnt set up properly yet to maximise output of my Joy. Atm feeding it mostly manually I can easily fill my truck and trailer (cube) within the hour. But like others have said, with real small timber can take an hour to do my truck.

I recently filled a little 10 cube grain trailer in 4hrs, was all small Elm which had been coppiced out of hedges. I was more then happy with that output. All relative to the circumstance I suppose.

I think if you have perfect diameters you should really be able to get a good output. It also depends on length you are cutting and if the lengths require cleaning or the odd branches snipped off. Myself I am just getting used to my Pocsh 360. I would say the circular blade actually cuts fractionally faster than the chain did on my old Tajfun 380. The big difference for me is that I am fiddling around with oil, servicing bars and chains which takes quite a bit of time. Saying that I think Tajfun 400 makes excellent value for money and 600 which they are developing will take even bigger logs! Myself I just got fed up of fiddling chains and oil on an almost daily basis.

Our hydraulic log deck can hold 15m3 when fully loaded (though sometimes easier working not to heap it up so much) and it's coupled with a circular saw processor. Fill into tattie boxes to 1.2m3 level and swinging conveyor allows to fill 3 boxes without having to stop for changeover.

We've never got anything like 10m3 per hour even doing nice girthy (and more to the point straight) softwood. And just think about what that volume and ratio of delivery actually is - one cubic metre bag filled every 6 mins, bag after bag after bag.. Ain't happening I'm afraid!! For that kind of volume you're into the very biggest American machines. Also bear in mind if you're bringing in another person to assist then you're adding cost, albeit there is gain in production also.

On a side note I'd query investment needed for medium scale firewood production against return:

Thousands £ stock

Forwarder

log deck

processor

tractor (or 3 phase supply)

Forklift or telehandler

Bulk bags or other storage method

Associated running costs with machinery above

I remember one member on here thinking that firewood suppliers who scale up production should lower their selling price - I nearly had heart attack with shock!

We have a 400 and it is quick enough. We have had very little down time and sharpening etc has been minimal (we have clean beech). The down time and fiddling about with the older Tajfun 380's was because the chain oil was always on, gumming up the operation.

I do think that production from the processor is less important than other elements of firewood production (sorting cord sizes, stacking and seasoning and above all order management and delivery. Delivery is where it can all fall down and is where profits are won or lost.

We have a 400 and it is quick enough. We have had very little down time and sharpening etc has been minimal (we have clean beech). The down time and fiddling about with the older Tajfun 380's was because the chain oil was always on, gumming up the operation.

I do think that production from the processor is less important than other elements of firewood production (sorting cord sizes, stacking and seasoning and above all order management and delivery. Delivery is where it can all fall down and is where profits are won or lost.

You talk sense, delivery and handerling time is may be more important,