Best Strimmer Line

matt_uk

I guess it again depends on what you are cutting and what machine. Fs 94 on grass and light stuff then 2 lines are probably perfect.

I would have thought bigger machines might be better with more lines to spread the load. I expect 2.2 kw would rip two 4mm lines apart in a very short time when strimming blackthorn.

In the picture I posted above the head is on a Husqvarna 545RX (45cc). If you stretch the line out and measure you are getting a total DIA of about 22inches or 56cm . I know the line will curve some what when at full chat so say 18 inch dia sweep . If you had 4 lines on it would drop the revs too much . We also have a 555RX ( 55cc) which is even more grunty but I find that the extra weight out ways ( pardon the pun ) the extra grunt .

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the picture I posted above the head is on a Husqvarna 545RX (45cc). If you stretch the line out and measure you are getting a total DIA of about 22inches or 56cm . I know the line will curve some what when at full chat so say 18 inch dia sweep . If you had 4 lines on it would drop the revs too much . We also have a 555RX ( 55cc) which is even more grunty but I find that the extra weight out ways ( pardon the pun ) the extra grunt .

That makes sense.

You have convinced me that it is certainly worth a go at the very least. Could you tell me what line you use/recommend please. I will soon be out of precut 4.4x 300mm so I will be looking for some on a roll to replace it.

That makes sense.

You have convinced me that it is certainly worth a go at the very least. Could you tell me what line you use/recommend please. I will soon be out of precut 4.4x 300mm so I will be looking for some on a roll to replace it.

4.0mm square and 3.00mm square " Diamond edge " made by Desert Extrusions are the two sizes I use . :001_smile: Oh on the Oregon Jet fit head ( pictured ) I use a 4 line head but only fit 2 lines in the slots nearest the ground . The reason I use a 4 line head is it keeps the nut recessed under flush . On a 2 line only head it would protrude down . The conical plastic caps are useless and fly off but its no big deal ...

Edited by Stubby

4.0mm square and 3.00mm square " Diamond edge " made by Desert Extrusions are the two sizes I use . :001_smile: Oh on the Oregon Jet fit head ( pictured ) I use a 4 line head but only fit 2 lines in the slots nearest the ground . The reason I use a 4 line head is it keeps the nut recessed under flush . On a 2 line only head it would protrude down . The conical plastic caps are useless and fly off but its no big deal ...

Portek heads are finished with an aluminium dome at the bottom which seems good.

I will try some 4mm diamond edge in mine.

Thanks Stubby. Happy strimming.

I use 2.4 line in bump feed on a husqvarna 327 and when vegatation gets too thick or dense I then grab my fs460 with oregon jet head. For grass and material what dont snap the line I use 2 flexible 4mm and 4 when brambles saplings and the like snap 2 lines. I Find two is much faster and 4 breaks less & mulches more. Works for me I rarely use metal blades dont like them as not very forgiving.

• 1 month later...

Well this certainly went in an interesting direction since I last looked :D

Lots to look into... I'm going to order some of that diamond edge stuff... I'm going to keep a standard stihl mowing head with normal round stuff loaded as well for those lighter days on weekly work... The rough jobs with the warm wet weather have me working hard of late... The less strimmer line I reload the better!

been given samples of most of the stuff square hex oblong.

all i use now is oregen star line yellow stuff 3mm have a bump head rarly does it stick last a long time with one fill. normally i can get 2 fills of petrol to one of string. i am cutting up againt posts grave stones works well.

will stick with it as it works for me. and i leave mine out to keep wet.

works ok

also tried these fangled heads. and gave up the honda head is so simple to load. i can reload in 30 seconds and back cutting

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to go with the recommendation and try the Desert Extrusion stuff as I've still got a good chunk of stihl if needed...

15291560965_c70af45f63_c.jpg

I asked for some free samples and the company were incredibly polite and forthcoming... I've not tried them yet but the diamond edge stuff is absolutely fine... In comparison it tends to break towards the end and not close to the bump head which is nice...

Price wise it was less than a twenty posted and it arrived two days after ordering for 150m odd ... Very happy so far... :)

Now I've got to look at the alternative heads talked about further up the thread... Again, I'm open to suggestions...