Best Strimmer Line

matt_uk

It's been a couple years since the last comment.... what's your user reviews after lots of use?

Portek Power Strim fixed head vs Oregon Jet

Also, what's the best line to use in either of those? Just for cutting grass....

cheers, Steve

Hi Steve I wouldn't say I'm the best qualified to offer you advice but in the absence of better here's my thoughts.

We use a Oregon jet cut at work but one port doesn't grip small line very well. Still ok for over 3mm and still another pair we can use but it's not done a huge amount of work. Might be a one off but it does suggest a weakness with small lines. I would say the Oregon has a more swept holder so easier on the line if you are into the really heavy stuff with a powerful machine.

My own Portek head needed the thread on the aluminium disc refixing with loctite as it came unscrewed when changing line. Was really tight though as it had been strimming sheep net.

My conclusion from my limited use would be if you are using big line in a head for heavy work on a 2kw plus machine go for the Oregon jet. Smaller line on smaller machine then perhaps the Portek.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve I wouldn't say I'm the best qualified to offer you advice but in the absence of better here's my thoughts.

We use a Oregon jet cut at work but one port doesn't grip small line very well. Still ok for over 3mm and still another pair we can use but it's not done a huge amount of work. Might be a one off but it does suggest a weakness with small lines. I would say the Oregon has a more swept holder so easier on the line if you are into the really heavy stuff with a powerful machine.

My own Portek head needed the thread on the aluminium disc refixing with loctite as it came unscrewed when changing line. Was really tight though as it had been strimming sheep net.

My conclusion from my limited use would be if you are using big line in a head for heavy work on a 2kw plus machine go for the Oregon jet. Smaller line on smaller machine then perhaps the Portek.

Great thanks. Our Florabest is about 1.35kw (43cc ish). I guess it may be best to keep the line below 3mm for that.

cheers, steve

Great thanks. Our Florabest is about 1.35kw (43cc ish). I guess it may be best to keep the line below 3mm for that.

cheers, steve

I've got a 37cc machine that runs Stihl square line (red) which is 2.7mm nicely.

That's about £25 a roll (350m or so iirc) that should suit your machine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the market for some new strimmer line and came across this old thread, its got lots of interesting information and has got me questioning my current set up...

I use a fs94rce for everyday use with 2.4mm stihl line for round lawns etc.

I've also got a fs100 which is used for large grass areas and churchyards, round graves etc and even wildflower meadows at the end of the season. Which at the moment i only use a autocut head and the 2.4mm line in.

But i'm thinking of changing this set up, maybe to an oregon jet fit or portek head? Now what size cord should i be using for my size of machine? and which head would suit that cord best?

Thanks in advance, James.

I'm in the market for some new strimmer line and came across this old thread, its got lots of interesting information and has got me questioning my current set up...

I've also got a fs100 which is used for large grass areas and churchyards, round graves etc and even wildflower meadows at the end of the season. Which at the moment i only use a autocut head and the 2.4mm line in.

But i'm thinking of changing this set up, maybe to an oregon jet fit or portek head? Now what size cord should i be using for my size of machine? and which head would suit that cord best?

What cc is it ? My Husqvarna 545RX is 45cc and drives the Diamond Edge 4.00mm square .

What cc is it ? My Husqvarna 545RX is 45cc and drives the Diamond Edge 4.00mm square with no guard and longer lengths .