Best Strimmer Line

matt_uk

Tried out a few different genuine Stihl line's over the last month... I like to dig a clean line when cutting lawns and really struggled with the line breaking and then having to stop and pull it all apart and rewind the line. :thumbdown:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a tough 2.4mm line for my FS94?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stihl 2.4 is perfect for all grasscutting up to light brambles.

If it's constantly snapping off at the eyelet, then you're not bumping it out often enough, it's flexing and fatiguing at that point and snapping.

If it's gumming up in the head, then it probably just a bad batch. It happens. Despite all the stuff you read about soaking it in water, using talc etc, it's just easier to get a new batch. I've used twenty big rolls a year for the last five years and only had one that I had to throw away.

Square line I'm not a fan of- it tends to gum up much more than round. Are you using square?

Recently we have used up to 4mm in our strimmers on a clearance job, this was great for ripping through brambles and saplings!

I think its all about using the correct size for the application, usually 3 or there abouts covers most things but ~2.4mm is better for fine grass. 3mm is also better if you invert the strimmer to edge back around borders and paving as it snaps less.

Tried out a few different genuine Stihl line's over the last month... I like to dig a clean line when cutting lawns and really struggled with the line breaking and then having to stop and pull it all apart and rewind the line. :thumbdown:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a tough 2.4mm line for my FS94?[/quote

I have used lengths of 4 mm square in my cross head and it cuts blackthorn so I have bought some Oregon nylium 3 mm square for my spool head on the strength of that. Not tried it yet though. Friend of mine bought some 2.7 at the same time and he recons much better than the round he was using. 60 metres on amazon for about £14 so cheap enough to try.

Wow... fantastic reply folks... some great info there cheers...

I've tried the standard round stuff, a short length of square which did indeed bind like a bitch! It's actually the Pentagonal stuff (I think?) I'm trying now... supposed to be the toughest of the tough... Fitted in a C-25 head (the quick load one) The suggestion that I'm not bumping it out often enough rings true but also the binding of the line in the head is accurate as one side seemed easy to bump where the other stoically refused to come out at times.

The folks over the pond seem to have a massive selection of line available to them... It seems more limited here...

I'll maybe take another look at a thicker line as some suggest... the reduced volume vs longevity may pay off :001_huh:

Once again... thanks for the prompt and friendly reply folks... much appreciated :thumbup1:

A little tip I have done for years is when you load/wind up the head spray WD40 on the wound up line. This stops the line welding together and line comes out a bit better

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

A little tip I have done for years is when you load/wind up the head spray WD40 on the wound up line. This stops the line welding together and line comes out a bit better

Or Silicone spray

I did wonder if some sort of spray might do the trick... I also have TEF dry lube which I wondered about...

Diamond edge made by desert extrusions . Don't use a bump feed but can use up to 4mm square in my Oregon Jet fit head .....
Bloody hell what the heck is that?!? How does that work?