Best Strimmer Line

matt_uk

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and twice the drag ......so half the speed . 2 lines for me , just make em longer till you find that best compromise

Did some test strimming today and tried my new 4 mm diamond edge and 3mm nylium. As a comparison the 4.4 portek precut I have been using was only 300mm long so I could drive 4 lines easily. I have found the 4 portek lines were pretty much indestructible but expensive. The 4mm diamond edge has a thicker section than the 4.4mm portek so I tried Stubby's 2 long line method. I started with 500mm which was probably too long but even after hitting sheep netting and wire a couple of times the diamond edge still survived. Amazing stuff, I would think even stronger than the portek. A little shorter in very long matted grass would have been better unless you have much more than 2 kw to drive it.

I also tried 3mm nylium in my manual feed head. As you would expect I found it better/easier to drive than the 4 mm diamond edge in the same long matted grass but I did snap it on woody stems. It is certainly far better than the 3mm round I have been using. I had given up with the manual head and have been just using the portek 4 line head but I think I will use it again for thick grass with the stronger nylium.

I suspect that in a bump head the nylium would stick. Not tried it though as I hate my bump head with a vengeance.

As said previously different tools for different jobs.

I've only got a bump head, I only use nylium and can confirm it never sticks

That's good to know.

The problem I have with my bump head is it takes longer to load/ retrieve the broken line than my manual when it snags. If you imagine 1 min strimming snag the line, fight with the plastic clips for a few mins 1 min strimming and snag again. Repeat 5 times and you understand why I hate mine for the rough stuff.

That's good to know.

The problem I have with my bump head is it takes longer to load/ retrieve the broken line than my manual when it snags. If you imagine 1 min strimming snag the line, fight with the plastic clips for a few mins 1 min strimming and snag again. Repeat 5 times and you understand why I hate mine for the rough stuff.

How well I know that song :001_rolleyes:

I use the 3mm Round Stihl cord in their Autocut 40-4 head. I have noticed that i am having to bop the head less often when strimming through heavy material and around posts and such like due to the 4 line taking equal strain where the 40-2 head cord would snap more easily. I am usually re filling the head once a week sometimes once a fortnight, depending on the area we are strimming and how many obstacles. We also soak our cord in water too (dealers reccomendation) as it makes the cord more supple and less prone to breaking.