Best Strimmer Line

matt_uk

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and twice the drag ......so half the speed . 2 lines for me , just make em longer till you find that best compromise

No point having them longer if the stuff you're strimming is going to tear them to pieces. Long double lines are best for quick cutting of medium grass in my book.

There's only one way to sort this....

Get that knee healed up and we'll have a strim-off! :thumbup1:

Strim Off Strim Off Strim Off Strim Off Strim Off ... cough ... sorry ... got carried away... :blushing:

Best not to chant that at the actual meet ... the likelihood of folk having had a drink or three and swapping the 'm' for a 'p' is quite high and I'm sure non of us want to see that! :001_unsure:

Well I decided to go with the recommendation and try the Desert Extrusion stuff as I've still got a good chunk of stihl if needed...

15291560965_c70af45f63_c.jpg

I asked for some free samples and the company were incredibly polite and forthcoming... I've not tried them yet but the diamond edge stuff is absolutely fine... In comparison it tends to break towards the end and not close to the bump head which is nice...

Price wise it was less than a twenty posted and it arrived two days after ordering for 150m odd ... Very happy so far... :)

Now I've got to look at the alternative heads talked about further up the thread... Again, I'm open to suggestions...

I was going to ask which company but just noticed the label. Nice touch.I use a portek 4 line cross head on the strimmer I use for the tough stuff. A friend of mine said he was shown a head that the lengths of line just pushed in and presumably was held with a kind of ratchet system. Not seen it yet but sounds interesting.

A friend of mine said he was shown a head that the lengths of line just pushed in and presumably was held with a kind of ratchet system. Not seen it yet but sounds interesting.

Oregon jet fit? I just bought the pro one and the flexiblade line for a very overgrown garden of brambles and it is brilliant!!

No point having them longer if the stuff you're strimming is going to tear them to pieces. Long double lines are best for quick cutting of medium grass in my book.

There's only one way to sort this....

Get that knee healed up and we'll have a strim-off! :thumbup1:

Diamond edge doesn't get torn to pieces ............:001_smile:

Well I decided to go with the recommendation and try the Desert Extrusion stuff as I've still got a good chunk of stihl if needed...

15291560965_c70af45f63_c.jpg

I asked for some free samples and the company were incredibly polite and forthcoming... I've not tried them yet but the diamond edge stuff is absolutely fine... In comparison it tends to break towards the end and not close to the bump head which is nice...

Price wise it was less than a twenty posted and it arrived two days after ordering for 150m odd ... Very happy so far... :)

Now I've got to look at the alternative heads talked about further up the thread... Again, I'm open to suggestions...

I would second the good service. Had a reply to my late night email asking about a recomendation for the toughest line they sell, as I couldnt find large diameter diamond edge on the web site. 21.40 and still a reply. Now that is good customer care.

Ordered some 3.9 mm diamond edge from them today. Again Brian was very helpfull on the phone.

Companys like this deserve our support.

Like you i've been experimenting with heads and lines. I've settled on the Portek head and basically bigger the line the better. With 4mm line you can have a good length and hence big diameter strimming circle. Once you're hitting blackthorn and other tough stuff then lines break pretty quickly and then using a metal mulching head has a massive advantage. Can't see that I will ever wish to use the 2mm over the 4mm as seems slower and breaks quicker. Why do others use 2mm line?