Best Strimmer Line

matt_uk

I did wonder if some sort of spray might do the trick... I also have TEF dry lube which I wondered about...

Bloody hell what the heck is that?!? How does that work?

Its a strimmer head . It goes round and round quite fast and mullers down grass , nettles , brambles etc . A neat trick really .........:001_smile:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a strimmer head . It goes round and round quite fast and mullers down grass , nettles , brambles etc . A neat trick really .........:001_smile:
Fair game... I asked for that :001_tt2: I was more intrigued as to how the line is fixed...

I think the answer to that should be VERY effectively. I have a portek 4 way version and it is brilllant. You need a bit of power to drive it but it cuts down things I used to use a blade for.

Portek 4 way with 4mm square line does some serious cutting.
Cheers chaps... now I've got the name to the gear... I'll take a look... :)

Desert Extrusion Stuff is good. I use Diamond Edge in a Portek 4 way. They do all sorts of different types for auto feeds etc. heres the UK importers website: Best Quality Strimmer Line (Strimmer Wire / Strimmer Cord) and Strimmer Heads I have used them good service.
Fantastic... cheers... I'll give them a shout and see if I can get a bit of sample line to try out... :thumbup1:

Once again ... thanks for the comments and advice folks... :001_smile:

You don't need a wide selection of stimmer line- the Stihl round stuff is fine. I never have line welding save for the one bad batch of cord I bought.

2.4mm twin line on grass trimming. If that's snapping then you're doing something wrong, it's as simple as that. Thicker line is a clumsier cut and more drag on the strimmer for no benefit. I run the small heads like the FS-94 on FS460s with no issues.

Thicker growth is best done with 4-way head using 3mm line. The stress on each bit of line is halved as the lines are doubled- make sense?

Thicker than that and it's blade time. Shredder knife.

You don't need a wide selection of stimmer line- the Stihl round stuff is fine. I never have line welding save for the one bad batch of cord I bought.

2.4mm twin line on grass trimming. If that's snapping then you're doing something wrong, it's as simple as that. Thicker line is a clumsier cut and more drag on the strimmer for no benefit. I run the small heads like the FS-94 on FS460s with no issues.

Thicker growth is best done with 4-way head using 3mm line. The stress on each bit of line is halved as the lines are doubled- make sense?

Thicker than that and it's blade time. Shredder knife.

I would agree with all except your last bit. Thick line has its place in my opinion. If you have a stoney patch with blackthorn saplings and brambles that you need to clear/ maintain then using a blade is bad news. After hitting several stones with a 300mmm blade I bought my 4way cross head with 4.4mm star line. Harder to drive but if you have 2.2 kw then no problem. Saves all the shocks on the drive with the risk of damage.

I would agree with all except your last bit. Thick line has its place in my opinion. If you have a stoney patch with blackthorn saplings and brambles that you need to clear/ maintain then using a blade is bad news. After hitting several stones with a 300mmm blade I bought my 4way cross head with 4.4mm star line. Harder to drive but if you have 2.2 kw then no problem. Saves all the shocks on the drive with the risk of damage.

I agree with you except for using 4 lines . I think 2 is better especially on 4mm square you can get a wider sweep with less drag .

I agree with you except for using 4 lines . I think 2 is better especially on 4mm square you can get a wider sweep with less drag .

I guess it again depends on what you are cutting and what machine. Fs 94 on grass and light stuff then 2 lines are probably perfect.

I would have thought bigger machines might be better with more lines to spread the load. I expect 2.2 kw would rip two 4mm lines apart in a very short time when strimming blackthorn.