felling small conifer regen to waste

Like I say, most are less than 15' tall so single cut, push over and move onto the next.

I'm really trying to guage what sort of area can be covered in a day.

Hi there Tristan,

Did you price it yet?

Probably hardest part is the hiking about, especially if it's a large site. What's the ha?

Based on dense patches being 0.2ha / day/ man,

Thinner patches help push average up, depends how many days in a row you've gotta keep pace up.

5 good cutters for 4 days sometimes pushes pace along better than 2 for 2 weeks, somehow.

Maybe work out the lowest day rate you can handle, and factor say 0.2ha/day and see whether that stacks up/scares job off.

Cheers, John.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi been sorting some infected larch out on some simulare ground, ringbarked some and felled others, no snedding or cutting to lengh just brash of bottom 5 or 6 foot and fell as they are to be winched of next spring and we where getting £1.50 a tree, we averaged about 100-110 trees each a day,best day we had, one man brashing one man felling total 255 trees for the day 8 till 4.30pm.

That sounds like really hard graft for not a great return (after tax, fuel/oil, wear&tear on saws etc.) must have been less than £100/day for what sounds like a grueller!?!

That sounds like really hard graft for not a great return (after tax, fuel/oil, wear&tear on saws etc.) must have been less than £100/day for what sounds like a grueller!?!

An average of between £150 to £165 a day sounds alright, accepting that it is the gross figure. Forestry is hard graft.

we did simular a few ye

we did simular jobs a few years ago. expierienced sawmen were doing half ha.per day, younger lads with little forestry done didnt do as well. hard graft but it paid well

Hi all just reading your replies S,P is right it is hard graft, when we started in jan i used to smoke i DONT now and my thighs are now solid its done me the world of good and the best thing about it i love it, job satisfaction i think they call it as money is not every thing in life and 7-800 quid a week is not that bad is it? we have just accepted another 9 monthes work doing simular thing but we can buy the timber this time

Edited by spuddog0507
unfinished

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish you look with this contract sounds like a nice bit of work. 1 week ago we started 15 ha of silver birch regrowth on a peatbog in south yorkshire. Sites ridge a furrow with ditches every 10m, size varies from 5mm to around 20cm depending on how well the stump treatment worked. Cut and left where they fall stumps treated. Done 6 days and 11.5 ha done with 2 cutters and 1 lad stump treating. I think I prefer the bigger stuff easier on the back, but it's rewarding to look back along the area at end of day and see how much you've cut. :001_smile: