Growing trees from seed.....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collected a couple hundred acorns last autumn, stratified them in the fridge in a medium and planted out this spring. The planting mix was homemade compost, sand and garden topsoil (hence the weeds). Happy with the germination rate and growth rate (tallest ones should reach 2ft by next month) considering I haven't spent any money :thumbup1:.

Also what with this year being excellent for nat regen, been picking up seedlings (ash, beech, birch, syc and chestnut) before the deer/rabbits get them and transplanting to a small raised bed. Plan is to establish a broadleaved understorey in the small conifer blocks on the farm. Going to try growing alder from seed for the wetter areas using info from this website; Grow trees - Grow a tree with TCV

IMG_20140829_133639.jpg.16602c386e5581ecea551c4eb0c4075c.jpg

IMG_20140829_133625.jpg.88af8f35b500a0ecc7eace7054c5e20b.jpg

Growing quite a few trees from last seasons seed, not got round to collecting any this year though.

I have a few trays of acorns that were just put in in the autumn, the rest of the bag was horribly neglected, left in a plastic bag outside. A few months later I looked in the bag and all of them had 3" long roots sticking out so gave them to a friend out by huntly who's planted them all on his land. The ones I've got all are doing pretty good and stand at around 8" tall already. >95% germination rate.

Also got a couple trays of rowan and elder seeds that were stratified in the fridge and worked amazingly well, all popping up when they should've done, the elders are getting slugged a fair bit but a few surviving and the rowans small but soldiering on. Don't know where I'll put them yet but got plenty of friends with bits of land who'd appreciate them.

Also got some yew seeds still sitting in the fridge.

Probably going to be working tree planting later on in the year so hope to get at least a 5 figure sum of trees planted out :)

A few of the oaks are showing mildew, it's probably that oak mildew disease, is there any point in trying to treat it while they're small or will they do ok anyway?

what dose it look like???

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I grow seeds of both native and non native tree species, often 'nabbing' seed from nice specimens.

Recently I set out on a project to grow acorns from veteran oak trees from in and around Great Malvern (Malvern Chase). Needless to say they came up like mustard and cress and have spent much of the summer potting them on -it was a proper mast year last autumn.

I find that many of the seeds just benefit from an autumn sowing, that period of stratification and often they germinate the following spring. The trick is to plant into seed trays or deep pots to minimise the transplant, I'd also recommend protecting them in a cold frame or something 'squirrel proof'.

Maples - they require the outer casing removed/ or chipped slightly to allow the ingress of water.

I have some experience of growing wild service/true service tree also, they require cleaning carefully and then a period of cold treatment.

On a side note I also plan on taking cuttings from nearby Populus nigra subsp. betulifolia and growing them on to plant in floodmeadow. I know of a great population of these charismatic trees and intend on exploiting them.

Edited by jwade