using 4x4 to pull trailer in the woods?

Hello Folks,

we have been thinking of getting one of the road going forestry trailers to be able to pull it behind a hilux to bring it to the site and use it on site to extract to the roadside. What do people think? Good idea, bad idea? Downfalls?

Lots of the sites here have bad access. We don't really have the capital to buy tractor as well and then even if we did we will still need trailer to get it to site so thats why we're thinking of going down this route.

The hilux is 2494cc, year 2004, the trailer we've been looking at is fast tow breaked trailer from RIKO, which can come with flat bed or bolsters and has hydraulics to move the bed back and forward on the chassy to adjust the weight. They come at £14200 ex VAT - we'd get 40% of that covered by FFIS.

Any experience sharing will be most appreciated! Mostly worried about overtaxing the hilux and wrecking it!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Folks,

we have been thinking of getting one of the road going forestry trailers to be able to pull it behind a hilux to bring it to the site and use it on site to extract to the roadside. What do people think? Good idea, bad idea? Downfalls?

Lots of the sites here have bad access. We don't really have the capital to buy tractor as well and then even if we did we will still need trailer to get it to site so thats why we're thinking of going down this route.

The hilux is 2494cc, year 2004, the trailer we've been looking at is fast tow breaked trailer from RIKO, which can come with flat bed or bolsters and has hydraulics to move the bed back and forward on the chassy to adjust the weight. They come at £14200 ex VAT - we'd get 40% of that covered by FFIS.

Any experience sharing will be most appreciated! Mostly worried about overtaxing the hilux and wrecking it!

I have the riko fast tow, and I can honestly fault it, it's a heavy trialer , about 1200kg empty , we have loaded it to the hilt, with bolsters or with flat bed

Can't speak about using it I'm a forestry environment as that's not what I do but sure other will have an opinion to help advise you

dont do it...get a cheap tractor and winch, just think of the all the branches and sticks that will play havoc with the underside of the truck, sticks in the tyre valves, brake pipes, diesel tank, the list is endless,not to mention getting stuck on a slight incline with a load on, on a side slope you're going to be jack knifeing and end up in right old pickle when the winter rains arrive, the weight of the trailer is going to be boss of the truck unless in the most easiest of sites, having a tractor and winch counteracts all of the above for about 4k. Take it from me, someone who has done 30 years of felling and extracting in the wood.

dont do it...get a cheap tractor and winch, just think of the all the branches and sticks that will play havoc with the underside of the truck, sticks in the tyre valves, brake pipes, diesel tank, the list is endless,not to mention getting stuck on a slight incline with a load on, on a side slope you're going to be jack knifeing and end up in right old pickle when the winter rains arrive, the weight of the trailer is going to be boss of the truck unless in the most easiest of sites, having a tractor and winch counteracts all of the above for about 4k. Take it from me, someone who has done 30 years of felling and extracting in the wood.

okay - i failed to explain that we were thinking just using it on the tracks in the woods - some of which are muddy and narrow though, as we often struggle to persuade the landowners to put down hardcore and widen - due to the esthetic or public reaction in coulcil's case... so have to keep that in mind. what would you say in that case? we get logs to the track by petrol winch or by hand.

Edited by blacknora
forgot to say something

I have the riko fast tow, and I can honestly fault it, it's a heavy trialer , about 1200kg empty , we have loaded it to the hilt, with bolsters or with flat bed

Can't speak about using it I'm a forestry environment as that's not what I do but sure other will have an opinion to help advise you

so have you just used it on the roads only?

okay - i failed to explain that we were thinking just using it on the tracks in the woods - some of which are muddy and narrow though, as we often struggle to persuade the landowners to put down hardcore and widen - due to the esthetic or public reaction in coulcil's case... so have to keep that in mind. what would you say in that case? we get logs to the track by petrol winch or by hand.

Well thats easier than going in to the wood itself, but if it wet now after a dry summer how will it be after months of heavy rain? i would still go with the tractor and winch setup as its a proven and cheap setup, can you get a trailer to put behind your truck and go for a dummy run in the wood to see how you get on without spending on the riko trailer.

"Forgettit it"

4*4 only for pulling itself about on greasy muddy tracks.

Add a loaded trailer, I dont think so.(specially if any inclines)

Without any direct experience, but based on experience and intiution.

PS

Good idea, hire a trailer, load with a dumpy bag (or 2) of sand or gravel, about 1 tonne each bag ,(then guessing 2 or 3 tonne all up) and try it out.

Cheers

Marcus

I have several big ifor trailers and run discos and Landcruisers. We have a field which is steep and when muddy we struggle to pull up an mt ifor even with mud terrains on especially if it has electronic traction control. If it has a centre diff easier but need to be careful when you hit some grip you dont snap the half shafts. Basically you run out of traction earlier than you would think with a heavy trailer on.

I have several big ifor trailers and run discos and Landcruisers. We have a field which is steep and when muddy we struggle to pull up an mt ifor even with mud terrains on especially if it has electronic traction control. If it has a centre diff easier but need to be careful when you hit some grip you dont snap the half shafts. Basically you run out of traction earlier than you would think with a heavy trailer on.

Hi Steve ifor in mud is very hard work in a 4wd truck better off with a small mog thanks Jon