Using a chainsaw in a public place

NorfolknGood

Question

Local WT you need c31 etc and a volunteer wouldn't remove wood logs as dead wood is  habitat although the wardens no doubt usually taking some logs home perks of the job etc.

No oppurtunity for free wood if that was what you were angling after?

Would open a can of worms with other volunteers if they saw you carting of logs anyway?

Edited by Stere

I'm not really sure of op question, it’s a bit vague.  

1st, are you with another person or persons

2, if you are do they have permission/ or you have permission

3, in the eyes of the H&s (this only really counts if you were to have an accident) you need to be qualified, to be insured by someone, no ticket no insurance!.. and if you hurt yourself or someone else and not wearing ppe.. that’s a get out clause for insurance.

i do volunteer with the local council ranger. He checked all my tickets and every time I rock up he looks me over, I got told off for using a saw without gloves... They are very strict with the rules.. no one is even allowed to pick up the strimmer, even thou most peeps use them at home.

apparently, I’m the only person that uses a saw from the volunteering guys.  I guess I’m lucky, but it means the ranger can get on and do other stuff 

so in today’s litigation society, if someone lets anyone lose without a ticket on public land they’re asking for problems at some point in time.  Unless your really good friends and they have watched you and Are helping training you up..  But you must have ppe.

Does anyone have contact details about volunteering  for the WT with a saw.

and as I said I do have ppe and tickets ???

cheers

Edit  I should have said I’m in  east sussex

Edited by Wonky
Add location East Sussex

On 03/08/2014 at 15:53, NorfolknGood said:

Just out of interest how would an individual stand in the eyes of the law if he/her used a chainsaw without suitable PPE, without insurance or training in a public place with no warning signs etc?

. Hhhhhhhmmmmmm....... See below... ?

• Haha 1

So..... Friend asked abt some overhanging tree (  8m Robinia - Conservation Area) shading their back garden, so i said " just needs a crown lift an a bit of a tickle off the top ( silky)"  thinking, worth a couple of bottles of wine that... 

Visited yester, an saw this....... 

IMG_2963.jpg

Now i aint complaining over the loss of wine  ( oddly )  and it would only be done on a favour basis. As i am still in full time work...... but this bugger is there with his pal, done by midday and i managed to prise the cost out of said friend, crammed it all in back of a hi top van,  an buggered off.  Now those of us on here with the kit and the certification  and insurance and proper understanding but struggling to find work, are being undercut by this sort   ......  I will let you guess wot they charged  but nearest one to 400 squid wins a bottle of wine.... K

IMG_2977.jpg

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Now i aint complaining over the loss of wine  ( oddly )  and it would only be done on a favour basis. As i am still in full time work...... but this bugger is there with his pal, done by midday and i managed to prise the cost out of said friend, crammed it all in back of a hi top van,  an buggered off.  Now those of us on here with the kit and the certification  and insurance and proper understanding but struggling to find work, are being undercut by this sort   ......  I will let you guess wot they charged  but nearest one to 400 squid wins a bottle of wine.... K

IMG_2977.jpg

£ 400 ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1