Using a chainsaw in a public place

NorfolknGood

Question

3 minutes ago, neiln said:

A timely thread revival bringing this to my attention just as I ponder whether to offer some help.....or more likely to just stay out as its not worth the risk!

I've a couple of tiny woods very nearby that are really handy for exercise and entertaining the kids just now, so I've become much more familiar with them both.  Both have recently got 'friends of ...' groups going and are getting a good tidy up with the help of various authorities like london wildlife trust and great north woods project.  One is getting well cleared now, and I spotted painted numbers on about a dozen dead oak and dying ash in the other that I guess will be dropped/cleared by someone that is capable.  However as an owner of a couple of saws (ms180 and husky 365 x torq) used regularly for firewood work, I could offer to help clear the occasional fallen bow or such like, which might get paths opened quicker.  I've got the PPE and I'm generally risk adverse so would not go near an upright tree nor anything with real size or that might have tension so while I'd feel safe (as can be ...) and I'd be sure not to endanger others I suspect walking down to the woods with a saw and going at some logs could really annoy a few people and potentially break a few rules.  Which leaves me inclined to just keep quiet and not offer to help.  Am I being sensible to just leave it to the pro's or just an overly worried fool who cold help buck up stuff and clear paths, letting the pros spend their time more usefully on the real stuff like the dying ash and oak that need dropping before they drop themselves on someone?

if it helps, location is north croydon, small woodlands surrounded by residential property, one is Biggin Wood, the other is Spa wood.  both were part of the great north wood and have some large mature oaks and ash but neither have been managed woodland for a few hundred years so have become heavily overgrown and a place for fly tipping etc, until the local friends groups started up, and both are getting well tidied and opened up now.

Are the woods your property ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neiln said:

Nope.  If they were I'd crack on.  they are both croyon council owned....or at least one def is, fairly sure the other is too.

Ok . Its just you said " I've got a couple of woods " .  So , next time the volunteers rock up offer them your services . 

Edited by Stubby

perhaps I should have said 'There are a couple of small woodlands near me....'

yes I was thinking that next time a pro is there working, if I know when that will be and can offer in advance, I could offer to buck up stuff as they drop it.  Suspect many pros would be more nervous of an unknown volunteer with a chainsaw than happy with the offer though, which would be understandable!  still, I can offer.

2 minutes ago, neiln said:

perhaps I should have said 'There are a couple of small woodlands near me....'

yes I was thinking that next time a pro is there working, if I know when that will be and can offer in advance, I could offer to buck up stuff as they drop it.  Suspect many pros would be more nervous of an unknown volunteer with a chainsaw than happy with the offer though, which would be understandable!  still, I can offer.

Are they extracting or leaving as habitat piles ?

The nearest experience I have is wildlife trust volunteering, where anybody can rock up and join in with hand tools but only people who have CS30/31 and have been assessed by a member of WT as competent are allowed to use a chainsaw. I think it's down to WT insurance.

In this case I guess it would be a question of how the council permits the volunteers to operate.

I've also volunteered in our churchyard and one of the local farmers tends to rock up with a chainsaw and flat cap PPE. I have said my piece and can't watch, but what can I do?

You need to get on and get your 30/31 really.

• Like 2

I am , of course making an assumption here Re they being volunteers . Some one may be getting paid ?  
Ah yes, if someone's being paid then it's H&S at W/PUWER because it's a workplace. Employers liability insurance needed even if volunteers helping, and they need to be competent for the tasks being carried out.

habitat piles like stag beatle homes in biggin wood, the other woodland I guess habitat but it seems more clearance and brash burning.  larger pieces such as 18" long rounds of 24-30" diameter oak are just left with no specifc habitat creation afaik.  a few bits have been carved, ( there's an owl, a woodpecker and a dog) and one piece of oak seems to have been partially milled.  i suspect it may have been to create a few plaques/signs that have appeared saying 'oak' 'ash' 'hazel' ad such like.

Dan I suspect you are right, i Imagine someone from WT or similar is being paid to do the chainsaw work and perhaps give instruction/guidance, the friends group though are volunteers.  it makes sense though that they would not like a non paperwork holding/non assessed volunteer operating a chainsaw for insurance/legal reasons.  Right, I'll not bother to mention I could help then, as without the paperwork, I can't

The nearest experience I have is wildlife trust volunteering, where anybody can rock up and join in with hand tools but only people who have CS30/31 and have been assessed by a member of WT as competent are allowed to use a chainsaw. I think it's down to WT insurance.

In this case I guess it would be a question of how the council permits the volunteers to operate.

I've also volunteered in our churchyard and one of the local farmers tends to rock up with a chainsaw and flat cap PPE. I have said my piece and can't watch, but what can I do?

You need to get on and get your 30/31 really.
Dan's post has got it right in my experience.