Using a chainsaw in a public place

NorfolknGood

Question

My neighbour has said he’s going to call the police because we are using a chainsaw on our land..

Does depend what you are using it for. Don't want to speculate too much but if it's firewood and not at unsocial hours then crack on. TPO trees felling in the middle of the night not recommended.

22 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
8 hours ago, Jozia said:
My neighbour has said he’s going to call the police because we are using a chainsaw on our land..

Does depend what you are using it for. Don't want to speculate too much but if it's firewood and not at unsocial hours then crack on. TPO trees felling in the middle of the night not recommended.

Was he chopping up bodies?

That would be bloody reckless without PPE whilst all this Chogi flu is about....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried to follow the links that NorfolknGood put up. The first goes to a chainsaw carver's website. The second is a dead link and the third was blocked by my service provider. The fourth just links back to this thread, despite appearing to be a Facebook link. None appear to have any relevance to the issue raised. Maybe the user name describes these links, if you say it out loud.

On 03/08/2014 at 15:53, NorfolknGood said:

Just out of interest how would an individual stand in the eyes of the law if he/her used a chainsaw without suitable PPE, without insurance or training in a public place with no warning signs etc?

I have a great problem with this chainsaw licence. When I started back in 1993, I refused point blank to operate a chainsaw until I went and got the licence. Soon as I did, and got all,the safety gear, it became apparent that no one else had bothered, and I also discovered it is impossible to report anyone using them dangerously. No one want to know. The final straw came when I had to clear a fallen ash that had landed in council parkland. The tree officer requested a copy of my licence, which I gave him , only for hi to tell me it had expired. It hadn't, they actually do not have an expiry on them, but he said it had. I ignored it, and just cleared it up with the avant, no chainsaw needed.

So getting back to thread, no I think anyone can use a chainsaw anywhere without redress 

47 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I have a great problem with this chainsaw licence. When I started back in 1993, I refused point blank to operate a chainsaw until I went and got the licence. Soon as I did, and got all,the safety gear, it became apparent that no one else had bothered, and I also discovered it is impossible to report anyone using them dangerously. No one want to know. The final straw came when I had to clear a fallen ash that had landed in council parkland. The tree officer requested a copy of my licence, which I gave him , only for hi to tell me it had expired. It hadn't, they actually do not have an expiry on them, but he said it had. I ignored it, and just cleared it up with the avant, no chainsaw needed.

So getting back to thread, no I think anyone can use a chainsaw anywhere without redress 

Also there is no such thing as a " chainsaw license "

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A timely thread revival bringing this to my attention just as I ponder whether to offer some help.....or more likely to just stay out as its not worth the risk!

I've a couple of tiny woods very nearby that are really handy for exercise and entertaining the kids just now, so I've become much more familiar with them both.  Both have recently got 'friends of ...' groups going and are getting a good tidy up with the help of various authorities like london wildlife trust and great north woods project.  One is getting well cleared now, and I spotted painted numbers on about a dozen dead oak and dying ash in the other that I guess will be dropped/cleared by someone that is capable.  However as an owner of a couple of saws (ms180 and husky 365 x torq) used regularly for firewood work, I could offer to help clear the occasional fallen bow or such like, which might get paths opened quicker.  I've got the PPE and I'm generally risk adverse so would not go near an upright tree nor anything with real size or that might have tension so while I'd feel safe (as can be ...) and I'd be sure not to endanger others I suspect walking down to the woods with a saw and going at some logs could really annoy a few people and potentially break a few rules.  Which leaves me inclined to just keep quiet and not offer to help.  Am I being sensible to just leave it to the pro's or just an overly worried fool who cold help buck up stuff and clear paths, letting the pros spend their time more usefully on the real stuff like the dying ash and oak that need dropping before they drop themselves on someone?

if it helps, location is north croydon, small woodlands surrounded by residential property, one is Biggin Wood, the other is Spa wood.  both were part of the great north wood and have some large mature oaks and ash but neither have been managed woodland for a few hundred years so have become heavily overgrown and a place for fly tipping etc, until the local friends groups started up, and both are getting well tidied and opened up now.