Using a chainsaw in a public place

NorfolknGood

Question

I'd leave them to it and they will soon finish what they are doing and go away. (It's probably me anyway ;) ) Oh no I have PPE so it's not me, carry on and tell him the error of his ways. I always remember on the local flea market a tool stall had sold someone a chainsaw ans he brought it back as it wouldn't tick over. The stall holder drop started it in the middle of the busy market and was revving the nuts off it with no brake. I mentioned to him that he was not safe and was spraying chain oil everywhere then left quickly with the wife in tow.

Edited by peatff

What about phone round your local tree surgeons?
Offer a free log drop site?
Put yourself on the tip site directory?
Get tree surgeons to drop of van loads of free conifer trunks you can cut up with your chainsaw.
Got a garden?
Bag up your split logs in onion bags stack em up high, stick a roof/lid on it.
Got saw experience?
Completely desperate for work?
Have you considered a career in arboriculture?
Lots of firms rushed off their feet right now looking for staff.
Where are you based?
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 1

Probably the best thing for you is to do what you want cos it sounds like you think you can anyway,but most of all go and bother people somewhere else about it cos guys on here of got better things to do than listen to this crap,and also you come on here and 6 posts in you refer to a lot of people on here as "middle income wankers".Have a bit of respect.

• Like 1

I don't get it? No-one's overly politically correct here. You're obviously just hurt that the person who owns the forest has money and you lost your job which has bought out a whole robin hood thing of "The rich are selfish assholes and should give everything for free". 

I take it you have asked the landowners permission and he said "Get off my land you peasant" like the Nottingham sherrif or something? 

I just don't get why you don't just ask his/their permission. Worst case they say no and then you can go in illegally and deal with the consequence as you obviously think the world owes you everything. Best case they say "Yea no worries" as most landowners wouldn't mind having someone in there for free, cleaning up.

Just go to them, BE POLITE and say that you love the wood they have and you saw whilst walking past (or walking through if theirs a footpath) and you noticed there was a load of windfall logs and trees on the ground and you wondered if they would let you take any deadwood for your fire at home? They will probably appreciate the fact that you asked permission and respect their opinion and say yes. 

Either way, this whole "The world is against me and I'm going to do whatever I want anyway. You're just a bunch of entitled, overly PC greenist, middle income wankers" attitude doesn't really stand you in good stead. At the end of the day everyone on here has at some point lost their jobs or had an issue with income. I went one part of my life where I didn't have any money come in for nearly a year. Having the attitude that anyone who makes money and has money are entitled assholes isn't going to put you in good stead in the job market, you're going to be working for one of those entitled people...

At the end of the day you came to a site to ask a group of certificated professionals what the legal standpoint is of you going and picking up dead wood and we told you what the law says? I don't know what you expected?

• Like 4

An individual using a chainsaw (as OP) for personal use or possibly seen as a volunteer but for the community rather than employer.

Still not clear

Is he a volunteer or not?

If the activity is commercial it must meet the HSE's requirements for PPE HSAW etc.

If they are part of a community organisation that's going to be commercial but if its just some random bloke cutting stuff up in public there isn't much that can be done legally.

The land owner can insist they conform to safety standards or stop