Dealing with the big boys!

Rick2517

Hi Rich, sorry to hear that, but glad its all going to work out in the end. You're message received strength 5 here. I'll try and get over for s coffee if you've got time in a couple of weeks?

Cheers

Mark

PS I have some 'mates' who know the site....😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rich, sorry to hear that, but glad its all going to work out in the end. You're message received strength 5 here. I'll try and get over for s coffee if you've got time in a couple of weeks?

Cheers

Mark

PS I have some 'mates' who know the site....😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hey Mark, Thanks allot mate. Ive always got time for coffee with guys like you, these sort of situations brings it home that business is all about looking after each other and not "how much can i screw out of who" Whats the point in grafting your balls off if you can't sit back and be proud of it??

new number: 07527296836

So true. I had my none payer a few weeks ago. It doesn't half get to you. I'm away for a week so I'll call when I get back. Hope everything else is going well. Cheers Mark

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Arbtalk mobile app

Just because they are big doesnt mean Nothing gets heard

and the chap on site knows it

mention the booked in grinding. Why wasnt it pre surveyed ,hiw was another team able to remove stumps???

wasted time etc

if no joy go above start a complaint in accounts

id mention wgat I suspect but wont so normally they dont like too nany ripples

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Right so legal advise ended up not going anywhere as there contract was solid so I moved onto plan b...

I've contacted the MOD and made them aware of my situation and feelings about how there contractor are treating there "small fish subbies" and it seams that they did not like what I had to tell them. Within 24 hours of contacting them I had received an email from the commercial director stating that full payment of contract amount will be paid within 15 days..

Seams even "the big boys" can be told to sort there act out if it's by the right guy!! Don't think they where expecting a call from the MOD telling them to pay the tree surgeon, would have loved to listen into that call :-)

That's good news Rick.

Before I got into tree work, I was working for a landlord maintaining commercial property. My boss got a quote from a tree surgeon to take down 6 trees, the first 3 trees were straight fell, the 4th had an akward lean and the last two were close to a Mobile phone mast, and would need sectioning down. A day before the job was scheduled to be carried out, a JCB driver who was levelling some ground for my Employer just pulled down the first 3 trees for £50, a friend of my boss chopped them up. This left the last 3 difficult trees for the tree surgeon, my boss started haggling them down to do the quoted job for half the price, as there were only 3 trees left. But these were the difficult ones comprising probably 75% of the quote.

These days I take immense pleasure in turning down work for big building firms that used to treat me, and many other smaller contractors, like crap.

Against my better judgement I took on a small job for a large building firm in February who were undertaking a build on behalf of one of my long-term clients. I'm still waiting to get paid. What's even better is that, as part of the "after the fact additional information we need before we can pay you, but didn't need for you to actually undertake the work" documents, they asked me to draft a letter assuring them that I don't use invoice factoring. I don't factor, but I can certainly understand why people working with these guys would. I guess the company didn't want to deal with someone with the resources to apply the pit bulls and actually get paid on time.

Update:

Right so legal advise ended up not going anywhere as there contract was solid so I moved onto plan b...

I've contacted the MOD and made them aware of my situation and feelings about how there contractor are treating there "small fish subbies" and it seams that they did not like what I had to tell them. Within 24 hours of contacting them I had received an email from the commercial director stating that full payment of contract amount will be paid within 15 days..

Seams even "the big boys" can be told to sort there act out if it's by the right guy!! Don't think they where expecting a call from the MOD telling them to pay the tree surgeon, would have loved to listen into that call :-)

Name and shame. Like it! :thumbup1:

Well done and I hope you get weighed in.

Interesting post, I got asked to look over a tender for a large construction firm, there was a fair bit of work but when I read the payment terms I saw that you only got 60% of invoice after 90 days and the rest only when they were happy with the work you have done. I hit the decline button. I have worked for building firms before and it's always a pita. I now don't waste my time with them.

Hodge

Was approached out of the blue by a suited guy in a new jag if i would be interested in felling and clearing 9 mature oaks on one of their most recent building sites in mid norfolk whilst we were taking a tree down for a home owner in a newly occupied part of another of their developments.

Having got tangled up with big developers in the past,i sidestepped his invitatation and hope that the poor fellows who do jump in and do it, get paid in a year or two for at least some of the work they do.