Dealing with the big boys!

Rick2517

Completely agree with mark,we used to carry out loads of work for construction companies and what you need to think about is that the contract manager is just a man like you same as the site surveyor same as the site agent they just seem scary because they have a big name behind them. Don't take a knife to a gun fight, and my solicitor always told me if your going to shoot someone use both barrels, go back to them and hit them with every thing you have. turn the situation around to help you. These companies do these things all the time hoping you will lay down and take it. We won a massive amount of money of a company after we were told we couldn't work between 12-2 due to noise restrictions we read our contract and hit them with both barrels. Don't take it lying down.

Good on ya! I had a site clearance, agreed exact days and extent of works, neighbours kicked off about noise and developer "asked" us not to work before 08:00, after 17:00 Mon - Fri, 08:00 - 13:00 Sat, nothing on Sunday or bank holidays.

We did the days we'd agreed and were well ahead of track until these changes. I still paid the team for the days I'd promised them but they couldn't work hence we ended up short of finishing the full spec. Told the developer, no probs finishing but you'll need to pay for the extra days. He'd didn't think that was right.... So the trees are still there!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on ya! I had a site clearance, agreed exact days and extent of works, neighbours kicked off about noise and developer "asked" us not to work before 08:00, after 17:00 Mon - Fri, 08:00 - 13:00 Sat, nothing on Sunday or bank holidays.

We did the days we'd agreed and were well ahead of track until these changes. I still paid the team for the days I'd promised them but they couldn't work hence we ended up short of finishing the full spec. Told the developer, no probs finishing but you'll need to pay for the extra days. He'd didn't think that was right.... So the trees are still there!

Those hours sound pretty reasonable to me, what hours had you intended to work?

Those hours sound pretty reasonable to me, what hours had you intended to work?

It was 08:00-20:00 Fri Sat Sun 2x weekends. You're absolutely right, the hours were a bit extreme (and it came as no surprise that the neighbours kicked-off) But he wanted a big push early on because he was expecting the neighbours to kick off, and they did with some enthusiasm but not much knowledge, procedure or effectiveness. A visit from local police liaison to explain the Public Order Act put a muzzle on the most outspoken. The hours were somewhat out with the norm, but that's what he agreed to and that's what I needed to complete. He asked for the change, I still had to pay what I'd promised to the team.

My experience is that is often a nightmare to get paid. Many a year ago I was waiting 120 days on a £4k job once. Foolishly I believed people that they were looking into it, a cheque was in the post...etc, etc. I put it through to small claims court then they paid up before the hearing. If your paperwork is in order and the job was done to spec then 99% sure you'll win (after all you are in the right!). Hopefully they won't go 'bankrupt' and open with a new Ltd name a week late before you get paid - an all too common tactic it seems.

Anyway I'm a great believer in the old adage 'what goes around comes around' :001_smile:

Totaly agree Sean, there's another age old saying of "don't bite the hand that feeds you, as it may drop its biscuits, swing right around and stick it's fist up you're arse" comes to mind (not sure the last bit is part the original tho)

:001_smile:

Thanks for all you're input guys, I agree that it's not a huge amount of money compared to other similar and far to Common stories, but as I said I just hope I can give others a warning to save them making the same error as I did.

I learn from all of my mistakes and never make the same one moor then once, I'm soooooo happy working for mrs smith with her cypress trees, she pays the bills, expresses how happy she is and makes the lads tea and sometimes even chocolate digestives as well:001_smile:

Already told our admin assistant to say thanks but no thanks the next time the company involved ask for our help again.

Totaly agree Sean, there's another age old saying of "don't bite the hand that feeds you, as it may drop its biscuits, swing right around and stick it's fist up you're arse" comes to mind (not sure the last bit is part the original tho)

:001_smile:

Thanks for all you're input guys, I agree that it's not a huge amount of money compared to other similar and far to Common stories, but as I said I just hope I can give others a warning to save them making the same error as I did.

I learn from all of my mistakes and never make the same one moor then once, I'm soooooo happy working for mrs smith with her cypress trees, she pays the bills, expresses how happy she is and makes the lads tea and sometimes even chocolate digestives as well:001_smile:

Already told our admin assistant to say thanks but no thanks the next time the company involved ask for our help again.

:thumbup1: Thats the good bit, we did a job for a Co, they asked us to do extras and agreed to pay, but when I sent the invoice they would not pay all the extra amount.

They rang recently asking for more work doing, I pointed out they had shafted me once and letting them do it to me again would be pretty foolish on my part.

"What about cash this time??" they asked, "No thanks" was my reply :biggrin: