How many People Hire processors.

Logsnstuff

I've wanted a multitek for about 15 years since I first saw them online. But with a starting price of 115k + any options would need a lot more customers or contract work. Imports might work for some but majority of my customers ask for locally sourced timber.

The multitek we have starts at £28,000 but it is the baby of the range- a 1610.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big estate near Perth, forget it's name but covers Scone palace, hire in a processor from Fife

Isn't that willie laing running firewood from the old sawmill there. I'd be interested who they are getting in and what machine they have I know they tried to get campmuir to process for them but they refused.

im trying to justify a multitek 2040ss and a large part of its work could be aimed at the west coast, processing for estates (they could then sell to their local community) in remote areas.

but for the figures to add up, you would have to process a vast amount of timber and sell/deliver at low prices. storage, security, delivery and sourcing wood are issues. also conflicts in interest and the supermarket effect

hiring out with operator is more attractive but with no guaranteed work its a bit risky until the machine is paid for

a biomass style setup, lorry, crane and processor would open doors- and close them when the bank repossess your house:lol::lol::lol:

im trying to justify a multitek 2040ss and a large part of its work could be aimed at the west coast, processing for estates (they could then sell to their local community) in remote areas.

but for the figures to add up, you would have to process a vast amount of timber and sell/deliver at low prices. storage, security, delivery and sourcing wood are issues. also conflicts in interest and the supermarket effect

hiring out with operator is more attractive but with no guaranteed work its a bit risky until the machine is paid for

a biomass style setup, lorry, crane and processor would open doors- and close them when the bank repossess your house:lol::lol::lol:[/

What sort of money are these?

ThanksQUOTE]

Been looking at the whole issue of larger processors to cut the amount of time I spend processing. This year I have spent about 200 hours on it, all Sundays, Tues and some Weds.

There are a lot of massive timber companies abroad who are busting to sell kiln dried in crates by the container. Compared to buying in cord, storing it for a year or so, processing it, storing the processed product for 6 months or more then the maths for buying crates instead of processing your own with a small processor do add up if you are buying in cord at £55-£60 a ton, so around £40 a cube loose. I have been offered 1 cu stacked crates at mid and low £70s delivered, 1.2 cu crates at high £70s. I bought some 1.17 cu crates last winter, when checked these equated to about 1.6 cu loose. So on that basis say £80 for 1.6 cube (= £50 per loose cube) of kiln dried delivered in to you by the container has to be worthy of consideration especially if your storage space is limited.

You are loosing £10 a cube but saving lots of time and hassle. Of course if you are getting timber free (arb waste) then the maths mean processing it your self.

Personally I will keep my small processor and see how things go.

a

I've looked at these lithuanian/baltic guys too

Wondered about going in with some friends and getting a load For ourselves to buildup a store

Did wonder if there was a business renting a disused garage for six months on edge of a town and just putting firewood signs up - and sell off the forecourt for the winter - cash and carry logs

Dead simple business model,

been browsing a little seeing some setups of the competition and wondering how many people hire processors rather than buying their own and are you just hiring the machine or operator also. what machines are available and rates day or week.

HI LOGS I've just seen cord king on the net thats fast i think you have posted on it too thanks jon :thumbup:

I've looked at these lithuanian/baltic guys too

Wondered about going in with some friends and getting a load For ourselves to buildup a store

Did wonder if there was a business renting a disused garage for six months on edge of a town and just putting firewood signs up - and sell off the forecourt for the winter - cash and carry logs

Dead simple business model,

Friend of mine did that, sold a bit but not a lot despite heavy advertising.

You would need a pump truck and a fork truck or loader to empty a container, that usually holds about 70 cubic meters of logs. Most people want their logs delivered.

A