How many People Hire processors.

Logsnstuff

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at hiring one, but did the sums and buying made sense to me at the time. I send mine out on hire with an operator did 10 days contract processung last year which paid for the machine that year in theory.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Arbtalk mobile app

I would be a bit wary letting someone else use my processor, would definitely need to be me processing! This would obviously put costs up. Also you would want to assess the timber to be processed to make sure it is right size and not full of wires, mud and stones!

I think there is an opportunity here for sure if you have the time and can move your equipment.

Its only a matter of time until we see more big processors in the UK. The likes of Multitek, Cord King & Pinosa. I could see a lot of them going on hire like biomass chippers do, turn up on site with operator and do big tonnages in a day.

The estate I do woodland management for owns the company which imports the Multitek machines. We have one of the smaller models which we plan to use as a demo machine. If anyone is interested I could try and set up a viewing day this autumn/winter? It is road towable so may be available to hire with operator.

Apologies for the slight de-rail.

Been looking at the whole issue of larger processors to cut the amount of time I spend processing. This year I have spent about 200 hours on it, all Sundays, Tues and some Weds.

There are a lot of massive timber companies abroad who are busting to sell kiln dried in crates by the container. Compared to buying in cord, storing it for a year or so, processing it, storing the processed product for 6 months or more then the maths for buying crates instead of processing your own with a small processor do add up if you are buying in cord at £55-£60 a ton, so around £40 a cube loose. I have been offered 1 cu stacked crates at mid and low £70s delivered, 1.2 cu crates at high £70s. I bought some 1.17 cu crates last winter, when checked these equated to about 1.6 cu loose. So on that basis say £80 for 1.6 cube (= £50 per loose cube) of kiln dried delivered in to you by the container has to be worthy of consideration especially if your storage space is limited.

You are loosing £10 a cube but saving lots of time and hassle. Of course if you are getting timber free (arb waste) then the maths mean processing it your self.

Personally I will keep my small processor and see how things go.

a

I've wanted a multitek for about 15 years since I first saw them online. But with a starting price of 115k + any options would need a lot more customers or contract work. Imports might work for some but majority of my customers ask for locally sourced timber.