Boughton winch

woodcutter3

Yes my old fordson got as far as completely refurbishing the engine when I got it with the plan for a full refurbishment but unfortunately had to sell her to help pay for converting the rb44 into a tipper. Always wanted a 4x4 roadless or early county super 4 or 6 but would have too sell a kidney to afford it!!

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I can bolt a 3 point linkage boughton to the back of the major, as the pto shaft needs to have the female spline to slide in to, I think the linkage model have shaft and keyway sticking out, so the search continues

HI WOOD theres one on ebay mate thanks better off looking on MOD SITE thanks jon :thumbup:

Back plate is the same as 1 on eBay at moment but that's a slightly smaller model winch.

You could do what I planned to do and make a frame up that runs the full length of the tractor under the axcells and fix mount the winch to this and a top link doing away with the movable bottom links with a very short pto.

Talking to a old school timber boy he reckons that the male shaft part on the winch comes out to allow it to be close coupled or depending on middle some were mounted slightly higher with some sort of chain from out put shaft to winch shaft but this might hav been Darlington winches.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

When you used it on 3 point linkage did you have trouble with arms lifting when spades were digging in? I think I would prefer to have it bolted solid to the rear if doing big pulls so when you get chance could you have a look at pto to see if it will come out leaving splines to slide on to pto, and I can weld mounts to back plate to bolt up to major. Cheers

My boughton on the nuffield is mounted straight to the back of the tractor. I am led to believe that boughton used a tk bedford crownwheel and pinion inside these winch`s with a mod to the pto shaft.

moretrucks005_zpsba6b76e0.jpg

HI ASPEN good old work horse that 10ton pull yes what do you think of auto mower winch thanks jon

Only 1time had a problem on the major and that was a bit of a off line pull when it tried to pick the whole tractor up!

Almost sure it will come out as that's how I was going to have it converted to hydraulic so it could go on the front of the Valtra as a heavy recovery winch but as with many things never got round too it.

Was trying to remember size of cable and how much it was when put a new 1on, remember I got it from army sales place off a fodden recovery truck.

Got a bit of video clip some place of the ford son driving forwards but being dragged backwards till the spades dug in and pulled a whole ash tree up a field to wher we were burning up, will try and get it off old computer and YouTube it.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

There are a pile of weights bolted to the front so its not a problem. The old girl has not met its match as far as big ugly trees go including some recently with lean back over a house . Saved dismantling them which would have been at least a weeks work , they were on the floor within the hour . Also recently dragged a 20 ton machine out of a bog . As far as a winch goes I think they take some beating.

Bob