Echo CS360 TES top handled saw

wicklamulla

3 hours ago, spudulike said:

Now you got me - I think it is the normal "D" one but it has been a while since I worked on one of these saws - I have around 10 different tuning carbs and I did manage to get it adjusted OK. I did find the carb was very strange to set up, had to lift the metering arm much higher than I would have normally expected otherwise it would just run through the fuel in the metering section and pull no more through....weird!

I did a vid on tuning an Echo here - it worked really well [I have very little knowledge in tuning etc] but it was an odd routine to run through - both saws were running rough, slow to pick up... after the tuning both were loverly!

It is a D shaped tuning tool you need..

Am not allowed to publish Echo tuning info publicly [no idea why not] but I daresay a PM to me on here may yield info if you need it!

• Like 2

I did a vid on tuning an Echo here - it worked really well [i have very little knowledge in tuning etc] but it was an odd routine to run through - both saws were running rough, slow to pick up... after the tuning both were loverly!

Am not allowed to publish Echo tuning info publicly [no idea why not] but I daresay a PM to me on here may yield info if you need it!

Look forward to trying this out. Do you think this may sort the only starting with throttle on issue they seem to develop?

17 hours ago, Rob D said:

As a thread derail - using the 91vxl on a 390XP milling worked really well - the additional power on a bigger saw got the chain pulling it's way really well down the grain even though the chain angle was the usual 30 degrees.. but it seems a lot of folk have said this chain is way too aggresive for smaller saws.

I agree. I think the small mass of some saws makes the vibration and the grabbyness more noticeable. I didn't have issues running it on a 241. It's a bit frustrating because the standard top plate VX chain is excellent.

21 hours ago, wyk said:

I agree. I think the small mass of some saws makes the vibration and the grabbyness more noticeable. I didn't have issues running it on a 241. It's a bit frustrating because the standard top plate VX chain is excellent.

Yep - hopefully as Oregon continue to roll out their new chains then they may address the VXL issues - but as said it works really well on the larger saws!

• Like 1

Just converted the 360TES to 1/4 pitch. I cud only get the .043 bar at a max length of 14" and not 16" as I originally stated but I did get a  16"  .050 gauge too so let's see how they perform.  Oil test it on the morrow as I have a big job starting locally. 

Bought this clutch removal tool from Rob D as it makes it a super easy job to remove them for re-greasing or in this instance to upgrade to the 1/4 pitch sprocket. The 360tes is nice n' smooth in the cut now. A decent upgrade. 

20181105_203506.jpg

20181105_200934.jpg

• Like 1

I did a vid on tuning an Echo here - it worked really well [i have very little knowledge in tuning etc] but it was an odd routine to run through - both saws were running rough, slow to pick up... after the tuning both were loverly!

Thanks rob. When you day back the screws off to 0 what do you mean? Mine wouldnt run at all with the screws wound right in, but this is pretty normal for any saw. I followed the instructions starting with the screws wound out to 1.5 each and seems much better.

Still only starts with your finger on the throttle sometimes though.

Bill it was fairly simple to do on the 360,  BUT there are at least 2 different types of muffler available for the 360 and one is easier dan deudder to cut open and extract the 'Cat'.  If ya remove the muffler and put it on the bench and remove the silver coloured exhaust gas deflector it will expose an area large enough to cut with a dremel and remove the 'Cat',  i then simply refitted the silver coloured deflector without welding or brazing the slits created by the dremel.   As Spud or someone else said previously there is a 'Cat-less' muffler available for another brand which i believe is a re-badged copy of the Echo.
Had to die grind my exhaust hole below the deflector a bit bigger then rattled 8mm drill around in the cat til it was all gone. With a bit tune up runs much better on larger diameter and not noticeably louder neither

You'll forgive the question as I don't have the saw before me at the moment. But is there no grease pip at the end of the clutch side crank shaft? I know the shaft on a 35cc saw must be tiny tho...

• 1 year later...
On 26/09/2016 at 00:30, wicklamulla said:

The way things are going Echo and Dolmar will be the 'en vogue' brand to own within the next 3 years.

I am an Echo fan, but if there are problems encountered with any of their products i will be the first to admit it.

This popped up.

The echo 2511 has made serious inroads into the top handle saw market, but apart from that has anything changed?

I don’t think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

This popped up.

The echo 2511 has made serious inroads into the top handle saw market, but apart from that has anything changed?

I don’t think so.

how ya Demps,   the 2511 has changed a wee bit in terms of a different coil and possibly a different variant of the carb. but apart from that i'm not sure what else may have changed.  They are now part of the 'X Series' line up of Echo saws (what ever that means!).  I run 2 now,  one on an 8'' and one on a 10".  I would love to try the new Echo battery powered climbing saw that is due out soon.  The 360 TES has had some changes to the cylinder apparently but looks unchanged apart from that.  Ya lookin' to spend some Francs?