Echo CS360 TES top handled saw

wicklamulla

Hello Wes,  long time no see.  I had Spud fit a de-catted 360 muffler to my 360TES and he tuned it up fer me,  it's a good improvement.  I'm waiting to hit him up at some point to see if he wants the saw back with view to porting it for me.  Literally about to order a 14'' and a 16'' bar and chain in the tiny 0.43 size for my 360TES from RobD as the stock cutting gear is 'a bit too chunky and lumpy' in my humble onion. 
Let us know how you get on with the toiny chain. Thought about doing this but always thought it might be a bit much for using on 35cc saws. Also pita to sharpen!

10 hours ago, billpierce said:

Expect I'll have to get the exhaust off mine now I know it's worth doing

Bill i managed to cut open the exhaust and remove the Cat.  I suspect you may be able to  partially drill thru the exhaust and the cat inside if you don't fancy taking the dremel to it.

I agree on sharpening the tiny 0.43 chain, it is fiddly and easy to snap the file in half.  I also ordered a 0.50 chain so i'll see how i get on with them and report back.  I find i generally prefer Echo climbing saws to be on the tiny chains as they respond well to them for operator safety and clean controlled cutting.  Some of the 3/8ths Lo-Pro chains i ran were downright dangerous in my opinion.  I reckon the 360 will pull the 16'' bar and chain ok as the cutters are smaller and this should reduce the physical drag on the saw.  So hopefully it'll be nicer for bigger dismantles and blocking down main stems.  I would love to have the 360 ported though.

Bill i managed to cut open the exhaust and remove the Cat.  I suspect you may be able to  partially drill thru the exhaust and the cat inside if you don't fancy taking the dremel to it.

I agree on sharpening the tiny 0.43 chain, it is fiddly and easy to snap the file in half.  I also ordered a 0.50 chain so i'll see how i get on with them and report back.  I find i generally prefer Echo climbing saws to be on the tiny chains as they respond well to them for operator safety and clean controlled cutting.  Some of the 3/8ths Lo-Pro chains i ran were downright dangerous in my opinion.  I reckon the 360 will pull the 16'' bar and chain ok as the cutters are smaller and this should reduce the physical drag on the saw.  So hopefully it'll be nicer for bigger dismantles and blocking down main stems.  I would love to have the 360 ported though.
How much cutting was involved to open it? Did it need welding/brazing back together? Got me a dremel and not afraid to use it.

On a side not I just found my 2511 air filter lying on the workbench. Sheet, guess that's been off for a couple days since I last cleaned it. Sigh

On 26/10/2018 at 00:22, wicklamulla said:

I just ordered some stihl micro from Rob. I hope it's smoother than that disaster that is 91vxl. To run vxl on the ms171 I had to clip the heels of it like you do race chain and decrease the cutting angle. Otherwise, the vibration was ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2018 at 07:31, billpierce said:

How much cutting was involved to open it? Did it need welding/brazing back together? Got me a dremel and not afraid to use it.

On a side not I just found my 2511 air filter lying on the workbench. Sheet, guess that's been off for a couple days since I last cleaned it. Sigh

Bill it was fairly simple to do on the 360,  BUT there are at least 2 different types of muffler available for the 360 and one is easier dan deudder to cut open and extract the 'Cat'.  If ya remove the muffler and put it on the bench and remove the silver coloured exhaust gas deflector it will expose an area large enough to cut with a dremel and remove the 'Cat',  i then simply refitted the silver coloured deflector without welding or brazing the slits created by the dremel.   As Spud or someone else said previously there is a 'Cat-less' muffler available for another brand which i believe is a re-badged copy of the Echo.

Bill it was fairly simple to do on the 360,  BUT there are at least 2 different types of muffler available for the 360 and one is easier dan deudder to cut open and extract the 'Cat'.  If ya remove the muffler and put it on the bench and remove the silver coloured exhaust gas deflector it will expose an area large enough to cut with a dremel and remove the 'Cat',  i then simply refitted the silver coloured deflector without welding or brazing the slits created by the dremel.   As Spud or someone else said previously there is a 'Cat-less' muffler available for another brand which i believe is a re-badged copy of the Echo.
I'll have a look see when I've next got a dull moment. Thanks

Here's that 361WES. In Japan the 'W' stands for what anglicises to 'wa te' - meaning 'handle.' With the included Tsumura bar, this thing is Rising Sun tip to stern.

I drilled the hell out of the muffler and connected the dots to open it up as much as I could at the exhaust outlet to help most of the gas bypass the cat until the 350T muffler I ordered comes in.

168347437.Xv4AxoKE.jpg

168347438.cKMCWFeK.jpg

BTW @spudulike what tool do they use to tune echo top handle carbs. This one actually runs a bit rich even with the muffler mod(I assume RobD did me a solid here?). I thought I could use the wood screw trick on this one, but it appears to have the metal d rings?

Edited by wyk

Now you got me - I think it is the normal "D" one but it has been a while since I worked on one of these saws - I have around 10 different tuning carbs and I did manage to get it adjusted OK. I did find the carb was very strange to set up, had to lift the metering arm much higher than I would have normally expected otherwise it would just run through the fuel in the metering section and pull no more through....weird!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/10/2018 at 10:22, wyk said:

I just ordered some stihl micro from Rob. I hope it's smoother than that disaster that is 91vxl. To run vxl on the ms171 I had to clip the heels of it like you do race chain and decrease the cutting angle. Otherwise, the vibration was ridiculous.

As a thread derail - using the 91vxl on a 390XP milling worked really well - the additional power on a bigger saw got the chain pulling it's way really well down the grain even though the chain angle was the usual 30 degrees.. but it seems a lot of folk have said this chain is way too aggresive for smaller saws.

• Like 2