How are people finding their new Ford Ranger?

Andrew Barrett

Hi all,

Has anyone got a new Ford Ranger (2013 onwards)? How are they finding them?

I'd nearly convinced myself to place an order for the chassis cab version for fitting a box and tipper (because only UK pick up excluding Land Rover with big enough legal payload to make it just about worthwhile).

Then I spoke to a hire place out here in Oz (on hols). They had loads of new-ish single cab pick ups for hire and I asked what they thought of the different makes as I need a new one. Immediate reply (with no prompting): "don't buy a Ford Ranger"!

Back to the drawing board...?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone who's got one and is happy with it. But then they did own two/three Freelanders before. Not much towing done but when they do, it's on the limit and pulls ok. Cheaper to maintain than the Freelander, spares and running too; does about 16k miles a year .

Don't forget also that Oz and NZ are more likely to abuse machinery as they are not as weighed down with liability and leglistation. It could be a factor, also modern low emission engines are more fussy.

"She'll be right mate, she'll either pull it or she won't"

Not stereotyping our down under rellys, but it is different there.

have you had a look at the new izuzu they do a single cab no frill wash out the cab with a bucket. when i looked was about £16k for the base model.

but ideal for a work truck. i had a suburu with plastic seats and floors and was so easy to keep clean. shame they stopped doing it. as cloth seats get mucky. yes they do get sticky when hot but can put a cover over them and that can go in wash.

Hate to shatter your illusion but Australia is way more bogged down with legislation. Never lived in a country with so many rules before. You need a permit to apply for a bloody permit there.

Don't forget also that Oz and NZ are more likely to abuse machinery as they are not as weighed down with liability and leglistation. It could be a factor, also modern low emission engines are more fussy.

"She'll be right mate, she'll either pull it or she won't"

Not stereotyping our down under rellys, but it is different there.

have you had a look at the new izuzu they do a single cab no frill wash out the cab with a bucket. when i looked was about £16k for the base model.

but ideal for a work truck. i had a suburu with plastic seats and floors and was so easy to keep clean. shame they stopped doing it. as cloth seats get mucky. yes they do get sticky when hot but can put a cover over them and that can go in wash.

Heard recently that some people are experiencing problems with the new D Max with regard to the " regeneration cycles " for the DPF causing the engine oil to become diluted with diesel .....

Hate to shatter your illusion but Australia is way more bogged down with legislation. Never lived in a country with so many rules before. You need a permit to apply for a bloody permit there.

I may be out of date then. Too many memories of castlemaine xxxx ads and the like.

It is surprising how the bureaucracy has caught upon nz in the last 9 years since I 1st went.

Back to topic. It is time the bling mobiles were reduced in excess and cut back to the no frills chuck a bucket at it workhorse mentioned above. I do hope the new ranger is good but they are too Yankee numb for practicality I reckon. A 7.5 tonner can nearly have the same footprint as the chrome laden chunkys that are the norm. Let's face it most people have worked out it doesn't increase the size of your manhood. Or profit of your business.

As much as I'm not fond of landrovers they are available in basic spec with 3.5t towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I agree just bought a vito in white no air con 3 years old mint condition. everything shiney and well speced on the forecourt was twice the mileage and price. They stick an extra 10k on the pickups for the chrome and carpets. When you bash a colour coded bumper it has to be sprayed. A black one just screwed on.