Overhead lines and trees (utility guys & gals)

HDAV

Question

HI, hoping for some help, my aunt has powerlines on her property (11kV or lower) directly under the line is a tree which is getting close (how close i cant say without a theodolite). but certainly closer than i see most.

My question is who is responsible for making sure the 2 do not touch, landowner or utility? Who pays for tree reduction if required? She does get a tiny rent for the 3 poles on the land and i know there is an access clause for utility. I don't know when they last inspected, but what is the safe separation?

Many thanks for your help

For Electric, it is down to the Network Operator to sort out the trees near their lines.

Round here they turn up every couple of years to get permission to trim etc, I think it pays to be as co-operative as possible, we all need electric!

Thanks the propert is in the Wmids but looks like wpd area on the web old meb area. Does anyone know the separation I don't want the tree down but it could do with a prune as its shading the veg patch!

If its 11Kv then typically the clearance they will want will be 3 to 4 meters.

In reality you will get pretty much what you want in terms of clearance just talk to the permissioner when they come calling.

When I contacted Western Power about this issue they ignored it for a year. Eventually they sent somebody and the team removed most of the trees close to the line but have left the one that actually touches the line. Not impressed! Will have to start getting back onto them again. But the advice is correct.

IT's not my land but doubt 3-4 metres clear 2m at most its 3 lines horizontal in parallel so could be lower voltage this sort of thing Overhead%20electricity%20lines%20are%20being%20taken%20down%20at%20the%20historical%20Sutton%20Hoo%20site.jpg

It's not my land but will pass it on to the landowner, thanks.

That's 11kv in that photo. By law, the minimum clearances are 0.8m (up to 33kv) for an unclimbable tree, 1.2m for a climbable tree, although WPD say 1.2 and 3m respectively, with an additional 5 years growth

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk