How Much Money Can a Climber Make Abroad?

Thom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone done any work down the Costa del crime? Me and the queen want to spend more time there in the winter

I worked in the Costa del Sol in the mid nineties (not in the tree game though).

It was a lovely part of the world to work and live.

Not sure I would up-sticks to go back there now.

Not in arb of any kind but was there for short while in mid 80s. Nice place to live and work. Friendly people, loads of ex-pats with more than sense or good taste. Building was rife; everyone wanted property and frequently paid over the odds for it. But that was back then, when jobs were relatively ease to get and money was being brought into the place.

Now everybody is trying to extract their money. Not just single buildings but whole developments and blocks of flats have been left unfinished. Flats & housing are left empty. While roads were constructed and services laid for buildings a villages that never came to be. Developers went bust or have just gone quiet, hoping things will pick-up in years to come.

Some friends of mine went from as many hours as they wanted, four days. Then three and lately to just two. Where before they were manufacturing, now they just refurbish or repair. But a lot of their regular customers, just went out of business.

The long running joke, (but truthful situation) was that payment for work done, would always be quoted as tomorrow. In reality, it was more likely to be anywhere between 2-6wks. Now it's more likely to be somewhere nearer 2-4mths.

My mate is in Norway, he has 10 years + climbing experience. The pay is very good out there £250-£350 a day for a climber at the top of his game.

Hodge

£350 a day is top of the game and doing 14 hr days, then there is the Scandinavian tax system 48% I believe in Norway . In Sweden it's around that too... So prob around £13 an hour if you do pay tax. Have good child care benefits though if you have the family

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours days, that's fitting 2 days in one! £250 a day is £125 in real terms! :confused1:

But good if you just want to get your head down work and save on short to medium term.

Yeah sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm doing out here. If you just want to get money in your bank account this might be the way to do it but it kills any love for the work you might once have had.

Rent is expensive here but veggies are cheap, rice and pasta are cheap. It's not impossible to live cheap, in fact it's pretty easy working long days

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk