How Much Money Can a Climber Make Abroad?

Thom

Hi.

My partner and I want to buy a house in the UK but as first time buyers, and with property prices as they are, saving enough for a deposit seems almost impossible. So we're thinking that maybe I can earn a lot more money working abroad for a couple of years and come back with some savings.

Does anyone know which countries pay well for tree work? I'm a climber with three years experience and loads of tickets.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

My partner and I want to buy a house in the UK but as first time buyers, and with property prices as they are, saving enough for a deposit seems almost impossible. So we're thinking that maybe I can earn a lot more money working abroad for a couple of years and come back with some savings.

Does anyone know which countries pay well for tree work? I'm a climber with three years experience and loads of tickets.

My mate is in Norway, he has 10 years + climbing experience. The pay is very good out there £250-£350 a day for a climber at the top of his game.

Hodge

My mate is in Norway, he has 10 years + climbing experience. The pay is very good out there £250-£350 a day for a climber at the top of his game.

Hodge

Indeed but where the pay is good the cost of living is also high so while you may be earning it you will also be spending it.

Indeed but where the pay is good the cost of living is also high so while you may be earning it you will also be spending it.

Well he told me he doesn't go out boozing as its £15 a pint. But he doesn't have much time to play as its 14 hour days.

Hodge

Well he told me he doesn't go out boozing as its £15 a pint. But he doesn't have much time to play as its 14 hour days.

Hodge

It isn't just the booze though mate, the entire economy is expensive

If you lived like a hermit you could save but it would be an austere existence.

I suppose if you have a goal to achieve it would be doable

NZ, oz, Eastern Europe??

I guess it depends on your circumstances and your life style choice.

you can make it worth your while if you want it bad enough.

I'd fcuk off from the uk as soon as I can make it happen tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

NZ rough guide would be $22-25 p/h (gross pay) and $150 per person accomodation and bills p/w most places, Auckland is more pay but more costs. Not too bad if you wanna save to buy a house in N.Z but I don't know about saving up to buy a house back in the UK.

I think our rent worked out at $14k a year, so yeah it's not easy to save when you are renting. Maybe you should look at moving back in with the olds!

New Zealand's a place I've always fancied as it's a beautiful country and has big trees but my missus has just had a baby and would be reluctant to move as far as that away from her family.

A mate of mine is working in Stockholm. He makes good money but I know that the cost of living is quite expensive there too.

Does anyone know which other European countries pay well for tree work? I've heard Germany is quite good...

What about further up the country up on the North Coast up near the Channel Ports to make travel cheaper?

Life is cheap enough here to be able to save money.

Your kid is worth 184euros per month IF your in the French tax system.

Social housing, ours is a very smart and dirt cheap.

Tax credits for 'modest income' earners.

Markets for all your food.

Weather is warmer in Winter up here and the Summers are just dandy.

What's not to like?

Ty