Thinking outside the box...

MrArb

Bangor racing was in the back of my mind too. I just thought I could maybe learn something by using the engine for something useful.

Is it powerful enough to make a winch able to lift a ton or two?

A winch just needs low gearing, little power unless you intend to drag trees across a field. Not something I would recommend building as a learning experience. Very stringent checks on winches and lifting for good reason.

Don't get me wrong I approve of what you set out to do but rather than build something that does not work or worse hurts you, why not improve your knowledge and skills FIRST.

The internet is full of information or you might join an evening class if any near you.

If you can weld you might consider improving your skill. Much more to it than sticking two pieces of metal together on a bench. Positional welding, different materials/rods strenghts of materials/welds, distortion and how to avoid it etc.

Sorry if I am wrong but you sound as if you are early in your career, little experience but keen to learn.

Presumably you make your living from wood and engineering would be a hobby.

I am the opposite but with 40 years plus in engineering I am still learning.

Have you a workshop?

What skills do you have?

What tools do you have?

All these things will determine what project you can undertake.

This might not be the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps. Good luck

Edited by cornish wood burner

Yes. I make my money from wood. Iv been running a business for 10yrs. Iv got a yard which I'm in the process of building a workshop and log store from timber out of the woodland. My friend and my dad are welders so that's not a problem. I have been considering some courses duty I never seem to find the time. I don't care about this car, it doesn't owe me anything and I don't want money. Maybe I'll make a go-kart :)

Yes. I make my money from wood. Iv been running a business for 10yrs. Iv got a yard which I'm in the process of building a workshop and log store from timber out of the woodland. My friend and my dad are welders so that's not a problem. I have been considering some courses duty I never seem to find the time. I don't care about this car, it doesn't owe me anything and I don't want money. Maybe I'll make a go-kart :)

Youngster with ambition then. Sorry at my age you're all young

Do you need transport of some kind around the wood to carry tools,wood etc.Small four wheel drive wood carrier might be an interesting project.

Go cart sounds good, not with saxo power I presume.

Save the saxo for the road going version