arbtalkers arbtrucks

treewizard

10 minutes ago, Big J said:

A profoundly silly truck. I can't figure out who it's aimed at because it's lowered load capacity means you can't claim the VAT back, and the towing capacity drops too. 213hp isn't that much for a pickup, and if you were spending £50k, you'd just get an F150/F250, especially if you lived somewhere where you drove on the right.

I have looked at yankee trucks, but finding spares and someone who knows how to fix them has always put me off.

Agreed, reduced towing capacity renders it less useful.

Hp wise, my current Ranger has 148 hp and tows a trailer/machine upward of 3 tonne nicely.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Anyone spending 50 grand on a truck surely isn’t going to work with it anyway meaning towing limits, vat reclaim etc all unimportant. 

The working man would just have a van, work type truck and unimog for the same money ?

• Like 2

Anyone spending 50 grand on a truck surely isn’t going to work with it anyway meaning towing limits, vat reclaim etc all unimportant. 
The working man would just have a van, work type truck and unimog for the same money [emoji3]
Damn right, 50k gets a lot of toys

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have looked at yankee trucks, but finding spares and someone who knows how to fix them has always put me off.

Agreed, reduced towing capacity renders it less useful.

Hp wise, my current Ranger has 148 hp and tows a trailer/machine upward of 3 tonne nicely.

I suppose it depends on the terrain you're towing in. I've 160hp with my Sprinter and on Devon hills it is at times painful. 

The large-capacity diesels offered in some of the American pickups seem to have few issues, and handle high mileages and heavy loads well. They are a lot of money in the UK now though with the terrible exchange rate.

As regards the Raptor, not being able to reclaim circa £8k in VAT is a biggie, and there are much, much better 4x4s out there if you are going to use it domestically for that kind of money.

I suppose it depends on the terrain you're towing in. I've 160hp with my Sprinter and on Devon hills it is at times painful. 

The large-capacity diesels offered in some of the American pickups seem to have few issues, and handle high mileages and heavy loads well. They are a lot of money in the UK now though with the terrible exchange rate.

As regards the Raptor, not being able to reclaim circa £8k in VAT is a biggie, and there are much, much better 4x4s out there if you are going to use it domestically for that kind of money.
160hp, luxury

Try my 85bhp 2.5 na hilux!
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Big J said:

The yanks have got it right J , big engines with gobs of torque at low down revs and everything around it built to last, horse power for a tow barge is sort of meaningless , you really do need to see where in the rev range maximum torque is produced . I ran a rhd Chevy v8 diesel pick up  for years, only rated at about 160 hp but would pull four ton plus of trailer as if there nothing there, spares were dirt cheap and readily available , also simple to work on. If I could find another right hand drive one I would grab it.

Bob

• Like 4

Thats true Bob.

I had a Chev with a 6.2 V8 diesel,th400 three speed trans and 10.5" rear diff with eight bolt hubs.Best two wagon I have had.My last one was a 6.5 liter turbo diesel,its on its second rear diff and I will have to put in a third.I wish I could put 10.5" diffs in it but the eight bolt hubs would give it away and put it into the Truck tax class over here.

• Like 1