arbtalkers arbtrucks

treewizard

18 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Back in the early days of biomass power generation under NFFO  Mike Edwards had a contract to chip tops  from FC's own harvesting around Thetford and run the chip into power stations. He used Fastracs  when I was lecturing to wayleave officers up there. Later when I was machine driving for another firm the owner told me he had lost a big court case over using agricultural registered tractors to haul the woodchip. My then boss said Mike told him it was the best thing that happened to him as it caused him to move to lorries on DERV which were much lower overall cost per tonne delivered.

The conversation came about because I asked about a machine sat rusting at the bottom of the yard, it was a scandinavian terrain chip harvester that had come from the thetford operation, the drum chipper was flat belt driven from the engine!

for volume sure.

For moving a 10 ton digger one a month with no O licence, no MOT and no tacho you cant beat a tractor and trailer running on red.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kav said:

No strictly arb but I'm well impressed with my t5 4motion

8129C2FC-CEA4-4225-921E-271AE614E85C.JPG

D2A506C2-6F96-4D36-9089-4D8799369AD7.JPG

Before I got my first works truck I used to use my T6. I never had 4motion but it had some serious grunt with the 204psi block. Lovely van to use, I miss being able to sharpen my saws under cover of the tail lift.

E0172ED6-70FB-47BE-B45B-E2CD90611916.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Paid off the finance on the Ranger in November. Treated it to some new tyres and a service.

Think I’ll run it for another few years rather than chop it in.

Lovely truck, bags of power for towing and still turns a few heads.

DD5A9E33-8E85-4B79-B27D-B825DFFF9F33.jpeg

Keep your eyes on the AdBlue! Only use AdBlue and nothing but AdBlue! Check the label before you tip it in too! If it is the wrong stuff, a "G" bill will ensue!

Before I got my first works truck I used to use my T6. I never had 4motion but it had some serious grunt with the 204psi block. Lovely van to use, I miss being able to sharpen my saws under cover of the tail lift.

E0172ED6-70FB-47BE-B45B-E2CD90611916.thumb.jpeg.90c1e355a3a23e8e6745899b02b2bfed.jpeg

Just about to sell a 2015 4motion. Absolutely hate the thing. Terrible handling , DSG box is jerky and they drink oil like diesel.
At least they hold their money so should get a good return
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, lux said:

Just about to sell a 2015 4motion. Absolutely hate the thing. Terrible handling , DSG box is jerky and they drink oil like diesel.
At least they hold their money so should get a good return

Mine was manual but I can definitely agree on it being thirsty for oil. I thought it was a fault until everyone else on the VW forum said “yup, same here” 

I leased mine and I’m glad I handed it back because once the honey moon period wore off, I realised that I’m spending well over double the amount for a van. Really there’s nothing special about them. God knows who actually pays 42k for a van and that’s only the mid range!!! 

It was built well in terms of rigidity and I loved the fact it was fast and pulled like a train but...that’s about it...oh it looks good too. 

I think I have a love/hate thing going on with Transporters.

• Like 1

Mine was manual but I can definitely agree on it being thirsty for oil. I thought it was a fault until everyone else on the VW forum said “yup, same here” 

I leased mine and I’m glad I handed it back because once the honey moon period wore off, I realised that I’m spending well over double the amount for a van. Really there’s nothing special about them. God knows who actually pays 42k for a van and that’s only the mid range!!! 

It was built well in terms of rigidity and I loved the fact it was fast and pulled like a train but...that’s about it...oh it looks good too. 

I think I have a love/hate thing going on with Transporters.

Yeah our one is my good ladies car. It’s a 7 seater rather than a van. We had VW do all the checks on the oil, weighing it etc. They said all though oil consumption is high it’s within tolerance. I think on a trip to the Alps 2 years ago I calculated the oil use to be 85 to 90 ml per 100 miles driving.
She’s had enough of it now and wants a long wheel base wrangler. Fine by me I quite like those.
  • Like 1