arbtalkers arbtrucks

treewizard

2 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

What about people buying tractors and trailers, hauling diggers around, logs from tree jobs, muck away in dumper trailers etc. They are not agricultural!

Can of worms and farmers exemption

On 20/12/2019 at 08:23, eggsarascal said:

Same, they chucked the 107 on my licence when I updated, slippery feckers.

I wonder if I sent them a copy of my old license if they would change it back?

The 107 was added to all licences in 97.

There was a period that you could claim the extra weight if you could prove your were using it at the time.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 10:17, openspaceman said:

1, Yes but after that you are restricted to a 3.5 tonne trailer

2, Which bit are you referring to? I'll try to clarify it.

3, What is MLPM?

1, Yes

2, This bit QUOTE found a relevant advisory that stated the weight superimposed on the artic tractor did not contribute to the gross weight of the trailer for driving licence purposes but I'm not sure this is the same for the 1024 kg limit for operator's licence.

You are applying a rule for one thing to another.

3, MLPM is Maximin Legally Permited Mass in essence the same as the MAM Maximum Authorised Mass for a vehicle.

4, QUOTE 

IRC the online checker restricts me to towing trailers of less than 3.5 tonnes but my B+E should not have such a restriction.

The DVSA knows that this is wrong BUT they have no plans to fix it...........

5, Quote, I'll need to renew my licence in a year because of my age and it will be interesting to see what comes back. Will you be 70? if so you will lose all the D1 & C1 stuff if you do not take a medical & fill the forms in. You will keep BE.

Edited by Justme
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

What about people buying tractors and trailers, hauling diggers around, logs from tree jobs, muck away in dumper trailers etc. They are not agricultural!

Needs a bloody good shake down and more than a few people made an example of.

Trouble is, if everyone else is winging it, how can you compete if you don't?

3 hours ago, doobin said:

Needs a bloody good shake down and more than a few people made an example of.

Trouble is, if everyone else is winging it, how can you compete if you don't?

I find the whole tractor thing a bit odd- is it really cheaper than going through proper channels?

For example I have had to move 1000s of tons of aggregate to jobs from a local supply for resurfacing footpaths- I used to use tractor and dump trailer (my own). But then I started using lorry and grab- can self load- move twice the amount at twice the speed and no repair bills for my self let alone the cost of buying tractor and trailer. I made more money off jobs and far less time and hassle using the lorry then trying to do it all myself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I find the whole tractor thing a bit odd- is it really cheaper than going through proper channels?

For example I have had to move 1000s of tons of aggregate to jobs from a local supply for resurfacing footpaths- I used to use tractor and dump trailer (my own). But then I started using lorry and grab- can self load- move twice the amount at twice the speed and no repair bills for my self let alone the cost of buying tractor and trailer. I made more money off jobs and far less time and hassle using the lorry then trying to do it all myself.

Depends what you pay per move. If the going rate for a lorry run from quarry t site or site to tip is £150-200 as it is around here, then your own fastrac (which you also use to move your diggers) can give a big saving. 

30 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

What about the cost of hauling a digger to your job using a low loader? That's what I see a lot of guys doing

2 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

What about the cost of hauling a digger to your job using a low loader? That's what I see a lot of guys doing

Yeah- I guess everyone’s situation is different. And if you have a tractor to do a variety of other works then clearly it’s going to be the most cost effective option. But running a tractor and low loader mainly to move diggers around- I’m not so sure. If your doing it yourself you get more lorry for your money then tractor, no trailer to buy and faff around with, they’re more economical on fuel too- but then if your running on red in a tractor then not much in it.

i had a tractor and trailer for moving mini diggers around and dump trailer use- it was convenient being able to do myself, but economically for me it makes more sense to use 3rd party grab lorries to move aggregate and a beaver tail to move my digger around. At £ 45-55 per hr it’s far less hassle then running a tractor and trailer- potentially expensive repair bills/insurance plus my fuel and time and saves the risk of being pulled..

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Back in the early days of biomass power generation under NFFO  Mike Edwards had a contract to chip tops  from FC's own harvesting around Thetford and run the chip into power stations. He used Fastracs  when I was lecturing to wayleave officers up there. Later when I was machine driving for another firm the owner told me he had lost a big court case over using agricultural registered tractors to haul the woodchip. My then boss said Mike told him it was the best thing that happened to him as it caused him to move to lorries on DERV which were much lower overall cost per tonne delivered.

The conversation came about because I asked about a machine sat rusting at the bottom of the yard, it was a scandinavian terrain chip harvester that had come from the thetford operation, the drum chipper was flat belt driven from the engine!