arbtalkers arbtrucks

treewizard

Just now, josharb87 said:

Except for if your commercially towing....

nope not allways then many many exemptions.

FLEETGO.COM

Exemptions – When don’t the tachograph requirements under EU-regulation 561/2006 apply in the UK? We have created an...

Never only a car though.

15 hours ago, Justme said:

Once coupled up to a trailer is the combined is over 23500kg you might be in to tacho use if its for work.

If you have a 23 and a half tonne vehicle you always need a tacho ?, ITYM 3.5 tonnes and , subject to interpretation , deliveries with a combination over 3.5 tonnes do need the tacho, the 100km from base exemption applies to taking tools and supplies for use to work. The agricultural exemption is different.

If you passed your BE before 19-01-2013 you have the same trailer limits as people with grandfather rights.

Yes but after that you are restricted to a 3.5 tonne trailer

Your second point makes no sense. The real weight of a trailer is not a licence factor so the applied load would not affect any licence condition re the trailers MLPM.

Which bit are you referring to? I'll try to clarify it.

What is MLPM?

This bit of the thread was in response to a post by @richy_B who was wanting to transport a 5 tonne digger to a work site. He has C1+E to 12 tonne gross train weight. So he can do that on a semi imposed  trailer behind a 7.5 tonne vehicle comfortably I think. He will always need to use the tacho as the 100km exemption does not apply once you exceed 7.5 tonnes GTW.

It would not have any thing to do with the unladen weight for O licences as again the applied load is not a factor in the unladen weight.

I know you gave a cite for that in with regard to driver's licence but I was unsure whether it also applied to semi trailers when considering operator's licence, as trailers under 1024kg unladen are not counted for operator's licence. So a mini artic consisting of a 3.5 tonne MAM tug and a trailer with an unladen weight less than 1024kg would not need an operator's licence and could enjoy the 100km exemption for tachograph. The payload seems unlikely to exceed 4 tonne.

The Iveco mini artics which were homologated for UK use in circa  2004 had a fairly heavy fifth wheel and were 12 tonnes GTW, I think, but for many of us with the 107 note would have been restricted to 8.25.  That fifth wheel would be too heavy to use if you were trying to stay under the 7 tonne gross train weight which is why those Dutch  swan neck ball hitches are promoted here plus they use american style electric brakes (which I am not keen on). Their other main advantage is that the tug can still be used as a short wheel base pick up when the trailer is not required.

2 hours ago, donnk said:

ah the window tax.

Whether you have the rear windows blanked on a disco 3/4 governs your speed limit. 

If they are blanked  you are a van and have to go 50 on A roads and dual carriageways,  if you roll them down your a car and can do 60/70.

The upside of this nonsense is blanked windows pay cheap road tax!

Whilst that was the interpretation the law never said that exactly.