Mini digger or compact loader

irish surgeon

I had a CF loader out on demo, it was brilliant crossing lawns and lifting stuff, but on in even ground it was nearly on its side and had no down pressure for digging or shoving and the cost was eye watering for what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

General stuff and yes alot of private take downs, so you don't think it's a runner

It would have a lot less ground pressure than anything on wheels.The only problem you might have is when it turns but if you are carefull and do not slew it on the spot then I reckon you should be fine. If you or the homeowner are worried if the ground is wet/ soft then put something on his lawn. Matting,ply etc. We do a lot of digging in confined spaces with small diggers and it is suprising what a 3 ton machine will do.

I'm also in the 3 ton digger camp- the sheer versatility of them makes it a no-brainer, I pretty much run my whole business off mine, I use it with a grapple, a post driver and a hydraulic auger attachments and I get a lot of jobs that a lot of people don't want to do because they don't have the right kit or hiring it would price them out. I do stone walling/fencing/ scrub clearance/ditching all with just one machine, and it does them well too.

You've just have to be a bit clever about it on domestic lawns ie put boards down, avoid spinning on the spot etc.

Also what are you going to be towing it with? Mine weighs 2.8t and I have up to 500kg of attachments in the back of the landrover!

Mini digger can be used as a loader- you can bundle brash under the arm, use pallet forks on the blade etc. I had the same thoughts as you and went with the digger. Much more versatile.

1.5t is probably a far better bet for domestic stuff than a 3t, particularly with transport hassles. Just make sure you get one with some guts for timber work, not a JCB.

• Like 1

I used a1.5 ton yanmar on this big field hedgerow tidy up, i spent about 2 days felling, bundleing and burning tons and tons of brash from the hedge, then pulled these 2 big lumps up and loaded them onto the truck. I probably pulled the logs about a hundred yards up a muddy hill and then pulled a stuck 16 ft trailer up the same slope, its amazing what you can do with a small machine.

20140313_102335.jpg.46630309e9c872d2ed9fb084c37763f9.jpg

20140313_125808.jpg.9afb3eed099c74f22090ca8db4794fbc.jpg

20140313_153702.jpg.993686ba9f3027452152c8b059792db5.jpg

That's great info I really appreciate that Steve, anybody going to defend the avant or is the mini digger a clear winner in the all rounder stakes.

I'm going to see an avant @ dealership tomorrow. I'm in EXACTLY the same situation right now.

1.5t mini digger - versatile, agile, mobile etc but add grapple and the lifting capability probably doesn't give it enough 'punch."

3t mini digger - most of the above plus points and better lift capability but starting to get difficult to move (legally) behind landrover.

Avant - fooking pricey but super versatile. I think Difflock commented on a separate thread about how much he rates his (which is why I'm going to dealership tomorrow).

I'll update tomorrow evening with my thoughts after getting hands-on!

I'm going to see an avant @ dealership tomorrow. I'm in EXACTLY the same situation right now.

1.5t mini digger - versatile, agile, mobile etc but add grapple and the lifting capability probably doesn't give it enough 'punch."

3t mini digger - most of the above plus points and better lift capability but starting to get difficult to move (legally) behind landrover.

Avant - fooking pricey but super versatile. I think Difflock commented on a separate thread about how much he rates his (which is why I'm going to dealership tomorrow).

I'll update tomorrow evening with my thoughts after getting hands-on!

3t digger is too heavy for a landrover, 2.8t can just be moved legally with the right trailer combination and the buckets in the landrover, if I was buying again (which I haven t ruled out!) I think I would look at the kubota kx61-3 which weighs 2.6t and packs a worthwhile punch yet allows it to be towed easier and allows leeway for buckets and mud in the tracks.

Another thing is you will probably get asked to do far more jobs if you have a digger than a compact tractor/loader. I'm always getting asked to do a bit of clearance or drainage or whatever with mine, particularly regrading/resurfacing tracks and public footpaths. 1.5t mini diggers are good too if you get the right machine. But really their appeal comes down to the fact that they are so easy to transport. (Although ideal for small gateways etc too)

Its a constant battle, Too small, not enough power. to big cant get it anywhere, hassle moving it.

We've got a Kanga 620d with 4in1 bucket, auger, grab, post knocker. Just got a 1.8tn mini digger too.

Remember though it only costs the difference between what you pay and what you sell for.