My first go on SRT

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wrench is ok off to one side, but I would look into a stiff tether that has legs so it goes on either side of the hitchclimber beckets. Its going to keep the wrench a lot more stationary. I know honey bros just started selling one.

I climb on tachyon and imori with an 8 mil. armor prus eye to eye. I tie a seven wrap michoacan. I weigh around 200 lb, sorry don't know what that is in stones. :)

Thanks, I couldn't see any tethers for sale except this one- which is the honey bros tether. The day I used it I had it between the 2 parts of a pinto or small isc pully I can't remember.

Thanks

C

Had another climb today so thought I'd update.

Re-reduce a weeping willow.

LOVE not having to isolate a branch with throw line for first ascent.

Went up the 30 or so feet without too much effort- although neck elastic wasn't bringing hitch up as i would like.

Got to top and swapped to a retrievable top tie- alpine butterfly with carabiner/pinto over the line I was working off with just enough tail to reach the ground plus a bit.

Used a carabiner/sling as a redirect when out on a dodgy branch almost level with my anchor.

Went down and did one half of the tree, then got the ascenders out and got back up nice and easy.

Then used 2 or 3 natural redirects to get out the back of the tree- love that with not having to worry about friction, or retrieving the line :)

Came down total climb inc set up was a bit under 2 hours I think, I was going nice and steady and don't think I would have been much quicker on DdRT to be honest.

Nearly got top tie stuck as I'd gone round the non working bit of rope.

Bad bits-

VT was great but felt funny after an hour or so sometimes bit too much sometimes felt like it wanted to slip

When branch walking without much weight on line, the rope wrench added a lot of friction so couldn't get more rope through without pulling hard.

Biggest one- art positioner wasn't lovely to use!

All in all, loved it. Recommend anyone thinking about it tries it.

https://honeybros.com/Item/HB_Stiff_Tether_v2

The tether you have is perfect with a pinto style pulley, this one above is better for a hitch climber.

I would try the lanyard over the shoulder as "chest harness" the bungees never worked for me either.

Keep trying different hitches with different cordage. You will find the right combo.

Try a Lyon sling with a snap gate biner as a chest harness. It's cheap and easy.

Choose a biner with a smooth nose on the end so that sling doesn't get caught when unclipping. Honey Bros sell a good one in a orangey colour with grey bits on the spine and it has a curved gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

• 2 months later...
I've been using a belt that came with my walking trousers and a little Binet round my neck,works alright. Need to get some sort of haas thing as cant really use the hand ascender that well

HAAS is easier and better than a hand ascender system, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, still got the hitch climber on but will swap to this Monday!

LOVING certain aspects, not having to isolate a branch with throw line, and not worry about changing friction. Love hand ascenders and foot ascenders make it so easy on my body.

Can't quite get my head around the perfect way of doing re directs, retrieve able tip ties and combos of the 2. Especially without having to work down then go back to your anchor before going to the ground.

I want HAAS, and hitch is behaving at the moment but a mechanical device would make me happier (wish zigzag or something could be Used)