woodturning

bill

A bowl that a friend made for me after I'd sympathetically reduced (!) a Cotinus (Smokebush).

Don't know what woods can or can't be turned wet but there's a guy down the road who won't touch ash if it's been cut more than a week. He'll turn a large bowl with a 100W light bulb held in the bowl on the lathe and he stops turning when he starts to see light through the wood.

S6300295.jpg.cd518bc20ce2e2460326d20518dca96c.jpg

S6300294.jpg.aa61ee6223b6e2988d7b49a4a39013ef.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

the only advice I can give you is practice, practice, practice. And never be totally satisfied with what you produce, as you can always do better.

Try turning green wood as it's a lot easier, and you don't get as much dust. The finished item may warp when it starts to dry, but don't worry about that too much.

Keep your tools as sharp as possible. You will need a bench grinder for this

Always were a dust mask or use a good extractor. I do both. I also turn in my chainsaw helmet, with viser down, As things can and do fly off.

For tools try Axminister. They have a web site

Good luck

This is turning into a good thread. Dean you lucky man how much did you get that for? I am getting a wood lathe someone i know got a record lathe when he retired and he has never even switched it on and he said i could have it as long as i turned him something. I have been collecting some wood i have got some yew some nice box. I was talking to a wood turner at a show and he had a lovely bowl which i liked it was leylandii lovely colour:001_smile:

Dean you lucky man how much did you get that for?

Picked it up for £195 David, I deliberately went for this one because it was three phase and knew it would go cheap.

Just a case of picking up a decent single phase 1hp or 1.5hp motor off ebay.

Just been looking round youtube on woodturning and it's full of good vids showing how to use and what purpose each chisel is designed for.

i did some work on a big yew the other day and collected some nice pieces. im a bit wary about turning yew as its poisonous, but i haven't read that its problem. ive read that its a good idea to practice on softwoods and then use the nice stuff when you know what you are doing. im on the lookout for a lathe. i cant find any info on using green or seasoned wood, so green wood will warp then?

I've been turning for 5 years,great pastime,look at ceramic shapes,old crockery etc to get some ideas on shape and form, there is always a turning club local,they tend to have turning demos on weekends.

I've only ever done pole lathe turning, in which most of the work is best done green.

Axminster are good for hand tools, service wise, anyway. I've also used the toolpost A good UK maker is Ashley Iles.

Like someone said, sharpness of tools is everything. They need to be sharpened, polished and honed to near mirror finish, really. A lot of tools you buy, even though they are good, are not really ready to be used; using dull tools makes it really hard work and spoils the enjoyment.

Here's some pics ofmy wood lathe and work in progress and other bits. The bowl is out of oak and the small goblet is out of apple on the goblet the neck is going to be half the size and if you hold it to the light you can see through it.

My lathe is a myford ML8 got it from ebay £80 (bargin) now there going between £150-£200. I've got a Robert sorby patriot chuck, with 1" pin jaws, Bowl reversing jaws and 2-3" jaws.

IMO the chisel quality goes in this order

Henry Taylor, ashley iles, robert sorby, Hamlet, Crown, etc etc. Its best to start on a soft wood start doing a spindle, when you have mastered the finish on that your half way there. The book is a good reference and starter book. I will turn any wood wet yes it does destort and sometimes crack but some people love it ive sold quite afew. I'll See if i can find pics

DSCF2290.JPG.006cbc3e31e74047543fe62db2b3580d.JPG

DSCF2289.JPG.1d067ab2cf44918d02bc8f95a051b8e8.JPG

DSCF2288.jpg.8c273631fdd1221a984493324d5217d4.jpg

DSCF2287.jpg.f4feee95063ff523cfc42375f3561eef.jpg

DSCF2286.jpg.01666c3cf43d200d16081f1eff6bcd5c.jpg

DSCF2285.jpg.a371c5e9a38602d35f7508aa9def9dd8.jpg