what compact tractor

miker

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I looked for a small tractor early last year and even took a Ford 4000 home on a trailer with the vendor promising it was an ok machine.

It wouldn't start the following morning even with 30 years experience of 'old Fords', so I took it back and hung around in the fellows yard all morning waiting until the money was back in my bank. I'd have hung around all week if that was needed and he could see that!

I now have a little tractor but I will say that they are not so easy to find and you will have to trust to luck or at least get some kind of guarantee if you're not too mechanically minded.

codlasher

I trawled the farming forums and done general searches before wiring the money and nothing came up, but then again most search engines don't bother with a two letter term anyhow so I'll admit that it was a bit of a "buy and hope" job.

You have to do that disappointingly often over here!

Well I looked for a small tractor early last year and even took a Ford 4000 home on a trailer with the vendor promising it was an ok machine.

It wouldn't start the following morning even with 30 years experience of 'old Fords', so I took it back and hung around in the fellows yard all morning waiting until the money was back in my bank. I'd have hung around all week if that was needed and he could see that!

I now have a little tractor but I will say that they are not so easy to find and you will have to trust to luck or at least get some kind of guarantee if you're not too mechanically minded.

codlasher

As you say good small tractors are hard to find. I like to think we know what we are looking at, but still pot luck. Cracked blocks on the fords, dropped liners on the Massey's, heads and clutches on the DBs. Minefield Buy cheap buy twice is what springs to mind.

We spent more than we setout to do and ended up with new. If you can it is probably the best long term. Service it and it should last.