what compact tractor

miker

ive thought long and hard about full size and compact,being able to put it on a trailer won it really,drive to site and you have a breakdown youre stuck on site was another factor, so i think compact it is, a 40 hp would be good,dont really want to go below 30hp

Its not what I would call a compact but we have recently bougt a Taffe which is an Indian copy of a massey. Comes from the same factory apparently with most bits interchangable. Old technology MF240 so easy to work on. Seems fine so far. We did a bit of investigation before we bought one and only heard good reports.

Cheaper than a Kubota like for like. No worries of cracked blocks like the Fords.

If you are thinking 40 hp ish and can carry a couple of ton then it might be worth a look.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I think you will find a Kubota secondhand somewhere they are very good easy to use and easy to service. I bought a new stv40 last year and it runs our processor and log splitter I have also had our Schmidt snow plough fitted to the front weight plate running off the loader hydraulics. So it rarely has time off.

Get in touch with browns and see what secondhand ones they have on their hire fleet as they sell them after they are 3 - 4 years old and they are generally in very good condition.ImageUploadedByArbtalk1405847807.305511.jpg.5db9ff7756409cd51053c90523d76137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1405847624.022887.jpg.aabf0390dbc70e2d96b9f291896fc2d6.jpg

I have the stv 32, no cab and want to upgrade to the stv40, with a cab. How do you get on with it? Nice to have some heat in the winter, but I am concerned I may cook in the summer when grass cutting.

oh, and one thing not mentioned, those chinese tractors are manual, not hydro. Thats a big difference

Firstly, as stated above be sure that you want/need a compact. Seven grand will get you a pretty decent "bigger" tractor which may be more useful in a greater range of work.

Secondly, I'd need a very good reason to look beyond Kubota.

Been looking a compact for a while now to run with grass tyres on the golf course and keep about the place for future use in the woodland. Eventually picked up a s/h ST30 Kubota from a tractor dealer in England in February, bought it unseen over the phone but he sent me high res photos by e-mail and assured me it was 100% mechanically. So I stuck my neck out, wired him the money, and arranged transport. It arrived on the plant lorry with a flat tyre, link arms seized solid, oil pissing out of the front diff and NO clutch. That's "no clutch" as in it was driving constantly and the clutch couldn't be disengaged!

To cut a long story short, the bollocks I bought it off sort of had me by mine as I was here, he was over there, and he had my money. He sang ignorance to the fault but said he'd either give me my money back if I got the tractor back to him, or pay for the cost of parts to repair. It was definitely letting him off the hook but I decided to go for the repair option and have a go at the job myself as it was potentially the cheapest and quickest way of a solution.

Turned out the wee tractor had been used in a factory somewhere on Humberside since new and had never seen daylight which was why it was so good cosmetically and the link arms were seized in place because they'd never been used! The entire clutch actuating mechanism was seized as they'd just shuffled it about with the hydrostatic and nothing had ever been on either of the pto shafts requiring the clutch to be used. So I replaced the clutch and actuating mechanism, front diff needed an oil seal, everything else needed lots of releasing oil and brute force to get it moving, and topped it all off with a full service, new filters and oils from top to bottom. It's done a fair bit since without (touch wood) a glitch and the more I use it the more it impresses me. So much so that as soon as I get a few more pennies gathered up I'll be looking a bigger Kubota tractor to use about the farm.

Not a conventional tractor set up. Actually has a chassis which required the engine to be lifted out rather than splitting as normal. But design and build quality of the whole thing is typically Japanese and very impressive!

Was this bought fror a dealer in east yorkshire by any chance

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk