Cutting from a MEWP

devon TWiG

i have done it.you do your mewp first then you need cs47 as some of others mentionedd.(cs47 use of chainsaw from a MEWP)other tickets doesnt cover you for using chainsaw from a mewp.and the asssesment suppose to be 3-4 hours.that includes pre-safety checks of mewp as far as i can remember,it might been change since.ive done it about 2 years ago.:thumbup1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many reasons for doing (or sending staff on) training.

Whether or not attending a LANTRA or IPAF training session, or passing an NPTC, LANTRA or IPAF assessment can be considered as 'adequate' depends on what it is exactly you wish to gain by doing it!

I think we miss understood each other. All I was trying to say was that you need to pass your cs tickets up to cs39 ( or whatever the equivalent Units are now) and an Ipaf 1b to work out a mewp. This is my understanding of what you need?

Or do cs47 instead of Ipaf

I think we miss understood each other. All I was trying to say was that you need to pass your cs tickets up to cs39 ( or whatever the equivalent Units are now) and an Ipaf 1b to work out a mewp. This is my understanding of what you need?

Or do cs47 instead of Ipaf

In an ideal world (and I will use the old CS numbers for clarity) to use a chainsaw from a MEWP you will require 'CS47'

The pre-reqs for 'CS47'are:

A 'MEWP ticket', such as IPAF, NPTC or LANTRA.

'CS30' - maintenance and cross cutting

'CS31' - felling

'CS39' has been shown to have very little value as a 'chainsaw from a mewp' equivalent.

As I understand it - and I've been wrong before - it is perfectly acceptable to use a chainsaw from a MEWP if you have CS39 and an IPAF or LANTRA or NPTC or any other recognised MEWP CoC.

The reason for CS47 coming into being was that some operators wished to use a chainsaw from a MEWP but did not have the relevant climbing certificates.

There is an old thread on this on here somewhere with a link or reference to the HSE confirming that in their opinion CS39 with a recognised MEWP ticket is acceptable. I'd put up a link, but I'm still pretty computer illiterate and don't know how. :confused1:

As I understand it - and I've been wrong before - it is perfectly acceptable to use a chainsaw from a MEWP if you have CS39 and an IPAF or LANTRA or NPTC or any other recognised MEWP CoC.

The reason for CS47 coming into being was that some operators wished to use a chainsaw from a MEWP but did not have the relevant climbing certificates.

There is an old thread on this on here somewhere with a link or reference to the HSE confirming that in their opinion CS39 with a recognised MEWP ticket is acceptable. I'd put up a link, but I'm still pretty computer illiterate and don't know how. :confused1:

Link>> http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/38524-chainsaw-mewp.html

I have an IPAF and NPTC CS39, this has, so far, been enough for our clients.

If you're operating a two man team in the basket I think you would get away with the MEWP operator holding a relevant MEWP cert and the saw operator holding CS39 (but this is only my opinion). You would need the protective screen between the saw operator and the MEWP operator.

I have an IPAF and NPTC CS39, this has, so far, been enough for our clients.

If you're operating a two man team in the basket I think you would get away with the MEWP operator holding a relevant MEWP cert and the saw operator holding CS39 (but this is only my opinion). You would need the protective screen between the saw operator and the MEWP operator.

Same as mate.:001_smile:

Thanks for the info guy's , do any of you have CS 47 if you are already a qualified climber ? Also if there is 2 persons in the MEWP bucket then do both need to have relevant tickets ? .... just trying to avoid any unnecessary expense and time thanks ...

If you are OK on chancing a fiver, buy yourself a copy of this:

People who were interested in the Use of MEWPs in Arboriculture also loved spending a fiver on this

you will see that it is chock full of stuff you were never told on an IPAF or CS39.:001_smile: