Cutting from a MEWP

devon TWiG

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi , this may have been covered before but what cs units are required to be able to cut with a chainsaw from the bucket of a hoist, as it is not operating from a rope & harness , yet is also not cross cutting and felling as such .

Up to cs38 and ipaf 1b. There is a cs unit for mewp but I believe ipaf is more recognised.

Beat me to it by 19 seconds haha :)

And that's after several glasses of wine!

Of interest (or probably not!) I've never been asked to show any of my quals when hiring a MEWP up here. One firm did ask for proof of "Hired-in Plant" insurance though.

Up to cs38 and ipaf 1b. There is a cs unit for mewp but I believe ipaf is more recognised.

CS38 (as was) is of no use for using a chainsaw from a MEWP as this is an aerial rescue unit, and does not cover any form of chainsaw use.

There are no 'CS' units any more, but NPTC do a MEWP assessment:

NPTC mewp unit

This is just an assessment, whereas, both LANTRA and IPAF integrate their assessments with training.

Bare in mind that health and safety 'law' requires employees to receive adequate training - simply passing an assessment is not proof of adequate training.

CS38 (as was) is of no use for using a chainsaw from a MEWP as this is an aerial rescue unit, and does not cover any form of chainsaw use.

There are no 'CS' units any more, but NPTC do a MEWP assessment:

NPTC mewp unit

This is just an assessment, whereas, both LANTRA and IPAF integrate their assessments with training.

Bare in mind that health and safety 'law' requires employees to receive adequate training - simply passing an assessment is not proof of adequate training.

I meant cs39 sorry. ipaf and cs39 is what I have.

Are you saying NPTC, lantra and ipaf are not adequate training?

Hi Arran, I was trying differentiate between

A) an assessment and

B) a training course.

When you are assessed, you are telling and showing the assessor stuff.

When you are being trained, you are being told and being showed stuff - hopefully with the opportunity to practice and consolidate your learning as you go.

A stand alone assessment (such as the NPTC one in the link) is normally a few hours of the candidate being questioned and providing some demonstrations. The assessment should not provide the candidate with any information, instruction or training, and should be therefore viewed very differently from an actual structured training course (such as the ones provided by LANTRA and IPAF).

I meant cs39 sorry. ipaf and cs39 is what I have.

Are you saying NPTC, lantra and ipaf are not adequate training?

There are many reasons for doing (or sending staff on) training.

Whether or not attending a LANTRA or IPAF training session, or passing an NPTC, LANTRA or IPAF assessment can be considered as 'adequate' depends on what it is exactly you wish to gain by doing it!